This Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting is perfect for cakes, cupcakes and all of your favorite desserts! Sweet and deliciously fluffy, this will be your new go-to frosting.
Do you have a go-to frosting?
You know, the trusty one that’s always in the back of your mind when you’re baking. No matter what it is, you just know that that frosting will taste amazing on it?
One that you can’t resist stealing a few extra tastes from when it’s all whipped up and ready to go?
For me, that’s this whipped cream cheese frosting. And, I’m willing to bet this might be your go-to as well by the time you get to the recipe card.Read more
Whether you’re making these delicious Red Velvet Cupcakes or my favorite Buttermilk Carrot Cake you can’t go wrong with this fluffy whipped cream cheese frosting.
Once you make this basic frosting recipe once, you’ll want to put it on everything. It compliments so many baked goods and desserts.
Not to mention, this cream cheese frosting is super versatile. You can switch up the flavor profiles to fit your baking needs.
Need a strawberry whipped cream cheese frosting? No problem.
Raspberry. Lemon. Caramel.
Brown butter. Rum. I digress.
This cream cheese frosting recipe is the perfect base to make super flavorful and delicious frostings!
What the difference between whipped frosting and regular frosting?
The difference is in the addition of the heavy cream and introduction of air into the frosting base. Cream cheese frosting is typically very dense due to the heavy amount of dairy and sugar in the ingredients. Ironically, adding heavy cream (more dairy!) to the recipe lightens up the sugar content a bit, and whipping it with a mixer incorporates air into it, making it lighter and fluffier than standard cream cheese icings.
Ingredients need to make this Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
This frosting has just 5 ingredients and is made in about 10 minutes – all simple ingredients that you can get at your local grocery store. I feel like this is an easy whipped frosting recipe that any level of baker can make – and make well.
- cream cheese
- unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- heavy whipping cream
Can I use whipped cream cheese instead of block for frosting?
Absolutely! If you think this frosting is light and fluffy already, just think of how gorgeous that texture will be with pre-whipped cream cheese! Just make sure you use the same amount that you would a block – 8 ounces – so you don’t lose any of that luscious cream cheese tang.
How to Make Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
This whipped cream cheese frosting recipe is super simple to make!
Make sure you pull your cream cheese and butter out of the fridge well before you’re ready to whip up this recipe (pun intended). Let it soften for a few hours – but don’t let it get too soft, especially if it’s a warm day! If it does get too soft (like we’re talking super squishy butter here), just pop it back in the fridge for about 15 minutes to cool it down a bit before proceeding with the recipe.
Now grab your stand mixer (or pull out your hand mixer and a big mixing bowl) and you’re good to go.
- First, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the room temperature butter on medium speed for 1 minute, until it’s fluffy and a bit pale.
- Then, add the softened cream cheese and mix them together for an additional 2 minutes on medium, until the mixture is incorporated and smooth.
- Next, add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. You can substitute fresh vanilla bean or vanilla bean paste here, if you’d like.
- Now, with the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar in 1 cup at a time, whipping until incorporated, for about 2 minutes.
- It will look done at this point, and if you’d rather not add the heavy cream, that’s fine – simply use the frosting as is. But to get that super duper fluffy and creamy consistency, grab that cream!
- Finally, drizzle the heavy whipping cream in with the mixer on low. When the cream is incorporated (no liquid flinging around as you mix), increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Or…until you just can’t wait anymore.
Now go forth and decorate all the things!
And go ahead and lick the beaters. No one’s stopping you.
Whipped Cream Cheese FAQ:
Should I refrigerate desserts with cream cheese frosting?
Any leftover desserts that have been decorated with butter- and/or cream cheese-based frostings should be refrigerated after two hours to retain the structural integrity of the frosting.
Can I use Cool Whip instead of heavy cream?
Yes, you can, but you’re going to be creating a whole new kind of frosting and introducing extra oils and fats into this otherwise wholesome recipe.
Can you freeze whipped cream cheese?
Yes, you sure can! This frosting recipe has a high fat content so it freezes well. Place any leftover frosting in an airtight container and keep it in the freeze for up to 3 months.
My frosting is too loose! What do I do?
Don’t panic! It’s possible your ingredients were too soft when you started mixing. Just place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes until it stiffens up a bit, then whip it a bit more until it’s nice and fluffy. If it’s still loose, make sure you followed the recipe exactly – you might have added too much heavy cream. The fix for that is simple – add more powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until it comes together.
Recipes with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Best-Ever Buttermilk Carrot Cake
- Soft & Chewy Ginger Snap Sandwich Cookies
- Chai-Spiced Banana Zucchini Cake
- Bourbon Caramel Pumpkin Roll
- Lofthouse-Style Soft Sugar Cookies with Frosting
More Frostings to try!
If you love this recipe, please consider leaving a 5 STAR RATING! If you really love it, leave us a comment and let us know – we appreciate all forms of feedback!
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also enjoy exclusive content before anyone else by subscribing to our weekly newsletter – and you’ll never miss a delicious recipe again!
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for 1 minute, then add the cream cheese and mix together for an additional 2 minutes on medium until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the sugar 1 cup at a time, on low speed, whipping until incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Drizzle the heavy whipping cream in with the mixer on low; when incorporated, increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Coworking Oslo says
Absolutely amazing desert for office parties or simple colleagues meetings. Very light and tasty!