This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Weeknight dinners can be equally quick and comforting with this One Pot Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff! This meal has all the flavors of traditional stroganoff, but is made with fresh mushrooms, lean ground beef, tasty egg noodles, and NO CANNED SOUP!
Let’s all take a step back in time to our childhood.
Remember that boxed pasta stuff your mom used to make? Right into the pot, mixed with some meat, and on the table in a half hour-ish?
And even though it came in, like, 73 different flavors, they all somehow still tasted the same?
Yeah, this is 500% better than that.
THE BEST GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF RECIPE
Even if you’re not a seasoned chef, you’re gonna be able to whip up this easy ground beef stroganoff recipe in no time! It’ll so be a family favorite!
Guys, I’m so into easy, one pot meals right now.
Some of you might know that, in addition to this blog, I also run a photography studio with my bestie, Lara. We specialize in food photography (obvs) and do a ton of recipe development every week.
So, I’m sure you can imagine that, if I can get away with a 30-minute dinner when I get home, I’m gonna.
And one of the best things about meals like this Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff? It’s still only 30 minutes start to finish, even when using completely fresh and unprocessed ingredients.
That’s right. No canned mushroom soup – just tasty, meaty cremini mushrooms, beef broth, sour cream, and a splash of wine make up the base sauce of this stroganoff.
Good grief, and this sauce! It’s so silky smooth and delicious – even as leftovers!
What Is Beef Stroganoff?
Beef stroganoff is a Russian dish, dating back to the mid-19th century. Traditionally, it consists of sauteed pieces of beef served in a sour cream-based sauce. Since its invention, multiple variations have spawned all over the world, extending as far as Brazil and even Japan.
This One Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff is made with lean ground beef instead of steak. It is made without cream of mushroom soup, an often used ingredient in Americanized version, making it less processed and more wholesome.
What Is Stroganoff Served With?
Believe it or not, in Russia, stroganoff is often eaten without a starch!
As a carb lover, I feel this creamy beef & mushroom dish NEEDS noodles!
If you’d like to serve a vegetable side with this dinner, I suggest something green! Stroganoff is very rich, so you’ll want to balance it out with:
- Steamed garlicky green beans
- Roasted cauliflower or broccoli
- A fresh green salad
- Braised red cabbage, for a completely Russian meal
How To Make One Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- First, melt some butter in a large Dutch oven. Add ground beef and onion, then season it with salt and pepper to your tastes. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the beef is mostly browned and the onions are softened.
- Next, stir in the mushrooms (sliced is fine, but quartered is best for a hearty bite!) and thyme. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until everything is tender.
- Stir in the minced garlic, flour, and mustard. Allow to cook for 1 minute until everything is evenly coated and fragrant.
- Then, deglaze the pot with a splash of red (or white) wine (or beef broth). Be sure you scrape up those yummy browned bits! Slowly add in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to combine.
- Bring the pot to a low boil, then stir in egg noodles. Cover the pot, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often, until the noodles are tender.
- Finally, remove pot from the heat and stir in the sour cream until all is well blended. Allow the stroganoff to thicken, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes before serving, garnishing the dish with parsley and black pepper.
The key to perfect, unbroken sauce is stirring the sour cream gradually into the pot after it’s been taken off the heat! The dairy can sometimes curdle when it hits the heat, so tempering it in slowly prevents that.
If you’re short on sour cream but have Greek yogurt, you can sub that in instead – just squeeze in a bit of lemon juice also for that tangy pop!
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF:
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
One Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground pork or turkey
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms quartered
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups Egg Noodles
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Place a Dutch oven on the stovetop set over medium heat. Melt butter, then add the ground beef and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until beef is mostly browned and onions are soft.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in the garlic, flour, and mustard and cook 1 minute, until fragrant. Drain extra fat and return skillet to stove top.
- Splash the wine into the skillet, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Allow to cook until wine is mostly evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring mixture to a boil, then add the egg noodles, stirring to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer 10-12 minutes, stirring often, until noodles are tender.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in sour cream until completely blended. Allow the stroganoff to thicken, covered, for 5-10 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley.
PIN THIS GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF FOR LATER!
Comments submitted may be displayed on other websites owned by the sponsoring brand.