This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
The perfect ice cream for year-round pumpkin lovers! A sweet pumpkin & pecan spiced ice cream, brightened up with citrus – and enjoyable any day of the year!
This is for all you pumpkin in July naysayers.
That’s right. I see you.
I know you’re out there. Trying to squash my joy of all things pumpkin, arriving little by little as the summer slowly waltzes away into the arms of autumn.
Well, I have news for you: you can never kill a love that runs this deep, even when it’s “out of season.”
But you know, I don’t think you’ll want to when you get your hands on a few scoops of my new favorite summer-fall hybrid treat – Sunshine Pumpkin Ice Cream.
I told you I’d be coming at you hot and heavy with the pumpkin lovin’ this year. August shmaugust.
After the hot, humid, miserable summer we’ve had to endure down here in sunny FLA, I have been absolutely chomping at the bit for even a sliver of cooler weather, a sign of the fall season that will soon be here.
Well let me tell you, it’s nowhere in sight yet. I might start to feel human outdoors again come October.
This is nothing new; I’ve been putting up with deep south summers for thirty-one years now, but you never truly get used to the stickiness of them.
It may still be too hot to turn the oven on for hours to bake a pumpkin pie, so I figured it might be high time I made something cooler and more refreshing with my number one fall flavor.
Enter this fun, citrusy, sunshiney version of pumpkin ice cream. It’s got everything a classic one would have, but I threw in a good amount of orange zest and a bit of lemon extract, to keep it light and seasonally neutral.
Take that, pumpkin haters.
To add even more fun to this pumpkin party, I have exciting news!
After Popcorn Week (remember my Cookie Butter Popcorn Cupcakes?) wrapped up last month, Susannah of Feast + West was already prepared with her next fantastic foodie collaboration idea. When she announced that it was all about ice cream (a sweet I am particularly familiar with and fond of,) I immediately jumped on board.
I’ve teamed up with 18 other incredible bloggers to share innovative ice cream recipes with you, and to bring you a pretty sweet ice cream making giveaway. We’re using the hashtag #weekofsundaes on social media this week, so you can drool all over our Instagram and Pinterest feeds. Check out the blogs below (right under the recipe for this stuff) to see all of the wonderful recipes that were shared this week.
Sunshine Pumpkin Ice Cream
The perfect ice cream for year-round pumpkin lovers! A sweet pumpkin & pecan spiced ice cream, brightened up with citrus - and enjoyable any day of the year!
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (pie filling)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Combine milk, cream, sugars, and salt in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk until sugars are dissolved and all is combined. Remove from heat.
- Set another saucepan with about an inch of water on the stove, and turn up to med-high heat.
- Beat egg yolks in a metal mixing bowl (one bigger than the mouth of the saucepan), then stir in 1 cup of heated sugar-milk mixture to temper the eggs.
- Set the bowl on top of the saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom doesn't touch the water. Add the remaining sugar-milk mixture and stir constantly, until it thickens to a custard base, and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove the bowl from the heat. Stir in all the remaining ingredients except the pecans. Pour the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove the solids, then refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions on operating your ice cream maker; pour the ice cream base into the machine and churn, adding the pecans in at the end of the churning cycle.
- Place the ice cream into a metal ice cream pan, or freezer safe container, and freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight for best results. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2744kcal Calories from fat 1744|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 194g||298%|
|Saturated Fat 74g||370%|
|Dietary Fiber 19g||76%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Ashley at Spoonful of Flavor // Ashley at Cookie Monster Cooking // Madison at Wetherills Say I Do // Erin at The Speckled Palate // Julia at Tag & Tibby // LeAndra at Love & Flour // Molly at Hey There Sunshine // Nick at Macheesmo // Meredith at Meredith Noelle // Heather at Sugar Dish Me // Linda at Brunch with Joy // Katie at Twin Stripe // Erica at Crumby Cupcake // Beth at bethcakes // Meghan at Cake ‘n Knife // Dan at The Food in my Beard // Bethany at Bethany Grow // Cate at Chez CateyLou // Susannah at Feast + West
One lucky winner will get this BIG ice cream making prize pack that’s worth more than $265! See the Rafflecopter below to enter to win this amazing set. The prize pack includes:
- A Cuisinart Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet, and Ice Cream Maker with double-insulated 2-quart freezer bowl // $165 value
- A Chef’s Choice Waffle Cone Express Ice Cream Cone Maker // $70 value
- Set of four 6-ounce Tovolo Mini Sweet Treats Tubs // $13 value
- A Zeroll Original Ice Cream Scoop // $19.95 value
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Everyone gets a free entry! You can enter multiple times, up to 20 additional entries by following the ice cream week contributors on social media. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the info as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Monday, Sept. 7, 2015 at 10 a.m. EST. One winner will be chosen at random and emailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact. The retail value of the prize is $265. Prizes shown in the graphic are the only ones available.
- Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only. Must be 18 years of age as of Aug. 17, 2015.