This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
These soft, chewy Ginger Snap Sandwich Cookies will look so pretty on any cookie platter…and the rum cream cheese filling will make them a new favorite!
We’re currently hanging out in the limbo between Thanksgiving and Christmas…where half of us have had our red & green & sparkly decorations out since Black Friday, and the other half is still wrinkling their noses at Frosty the Snowman.
These Ginger Snap Sandwich Cookies might just be the olive branch that brings everyone together.
They’re still autumn enough to please the Christmas procrastinators, but perfectly suited for all of us overachieving holiday bakers out there.
Plus, rum cream cheese.
So is it Ginger Snap Sandwich Cookies or Gingersnap?
I’ve always assumed it was two words, but I’ve come to discover many brands and blogs using it as one.
Not that it matters since these deeeeeeelicious sandwich cookies don’t snap in any way. They’re actually soft, chewy ginger snaps, and the boozy cream cheese filling inside makes them sing!
You might remember these from the Bourbon Caramel Spice Cake I shared earlier this week – these are the very ginger snaps on that cake. Those are all decked out with sparkly gold and silver sugar crystals, but standard coarse sugar will do just fine.
They look just as purty.
These lovely little sammies are entry 1 of 3 in this year’s Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange. Every year since I started this blog, I’ve worked so hard experimenting with new cookie recipes to share for the virtual sweets swap.
I was especially excited and happier than normal to participate this year since it’s for even more of a good cause than just happy bellies.
When Erin from The Speckled Palate told us we’d be including a Cookies for Kids’ Cancer fundraiser in our festivities this year, a warm, happy feeling came over me. Working for Publix, we have various charities we work with throughout the year. Since stepping down to part-time this past spring, I’ve been missing that feeling when it came time to sign up for the walks or bake sales.
I was obviously all in for this.
Cancer is the number one cause of death by disease of children in the United States. 13,500 children in the U.S. are diagnosed with cancer each year. Currently, 40,000 U.S. children are actively battling cancer.
The National Cancer Institute’s federal budget is $4.6 billion. The 12 major groups of pediatric cancer combined unbelievably receive less than 4% of the allotted budget.
Since 2008, Cookies for Kids’ Cancer has granted nearly $15 million to pediatric cancer research in the form of 100 research grants to leading pediatric cancer centers across the country. These grants have stemmed 37 treatments available to kids battling cancer today.
We’d love if you joined us in making a charitable donation to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer this month. We have almost reached our goal, but any amount above and beyond will make a difference.
Come back the rest of this week for even more tasty new Christmas cookie inspiration! In the meantime, here are just a few of this years’ incredible Sweetest Season Cookie Recipes!
- Cranberry Chocolate Potato Chip Cookies
- Caramel Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
- Crispy Bourbon Buckeyes
- Cranberry Brownies
- Honey Cookies
Ginger Snap Sandwich Cookies
These soft, chewy Ginger Snap Sandwich Cookies will look so pretty on any cookie platter...and the rum cream cheese filling will make them a new favorite!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- Coarse sugar
Rum Cream Cheese
- Sift the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, and vegetable oil. Beat until creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, then the molasses. Add the dry ingredients and crystallized ginger and mix together until soft dough forms. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place coarse sugar in a wide, shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Set aside.
- Using the palms of your hands, roll about a tablespoon of dough into 1-inch diameter balls. Roll each ball in coarse sugar, then place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 9-11 minutes, or until the tops are rounded and slightly cracked. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheets for 1-2 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
Rum Cream Cheese
- In the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, place butter and cream cheese. Beat until smooth and well blended. Sift in powdered sugar and continue beating until smooth and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add vanilla and rum and stir to combine.
- Spoon cream cheese into a piping bag. Pipe filling in the center of 1 cookie, leaving 1/2-inch edge uniced, and sandwich with another. Repeat until you have used all of the cookies (you'll end up with 25-30 sandwiches depending on the size of your cookies.)
- Chill the cookies for at least 1 hour until the filling is firm. Keep refrigerated.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 249kcal Calories from fat 117|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|