This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
A celebration in every slice! Two kinds of cookie dough, stuffed with three kinds of chocolate & colorful sprinkles, then drizzled with caramel & even more chocolate!
This Triple Chocolate Chunk Funfetti Skillet Cookie is probably the single most trashed-up thing on this blog yet.
I won’t lie. It resembles kindergarten artwork hanging on the fridge. With maybe a dab of impressionism.
And then a clown came over and sneezed on it.
But, you know what? It was flippin’ scrumptious. Especially thanks to the melty double chocolate frozen yogurt on top, ohmigosh.
Besides, it’s MY blogiversary, and I’ll use unnecessary amounts of sprinkles and chocolate chips if I want to.
(Today’s ramblings and giveaway are mostly geared toward my food blogger friends (even non-food bloggers could benefit!); but if you’ve ever wanted to start your own food blog, it’s the one to win this week!)
I see skillet cookies all over Pinterest all the time, but they’re always either regular chocolate chip, or double chocolate chip.
Never both. Why not both???
Since I’m falling more and more in love with my cast iron masterpiece, I decided to use it to remedy the problem.
I wanted a marbled skillet cookie. And now, you do, too.
Don’t tell me that drizzle isn’t making you crave a slice of this thang.
I think my favorite thing about food blogging is the photography aspect.
Well, no, I guess the eating of the content is my favorite part. But photography is a very close second!
When I started this blog a year ago, I had very little experience behind a fancy DSLR. Like, extremely little. Like, I still used kit lenses and shot in auto mode.
I might as well have used my iPhone for the photography I actually did use it for at that point.
Just like every other budding food blogger, I was a Pinterest addict, poring for hours over the gorgeous shots coming through my feed taken by Jessica, Sally, Dorothy, and Lindsay, among others. “How do they do it?” I used to ask myself.
And then, one day, I tried it myself. Armed with my fancy camera, my notes on aperture and shutter speed, and a basic knowledge of Lightroom, I took on a duo of simple mini trifles that came to be by accident, and they ended up being my very first recipe on the blog. But, trust me when I say I can look back at every post I’ve done this past year and find a cringe-worthy flaw in at least one photo.
I’m my own worst critic.
I take comfort in knowing that every food blogger goes through the same thing as I do. I even smile a little when I notice an overexposed shot or over-sharpened closeup on another blog – it reminds me that no one is perfect; everyone has their bad days behind the lens.
While I was doing research on food photography, well before I launched Crumby, one of the first resources I picked up was an eBook by Lindsay Ostrom of Pinch of Yum (one of my all-time fave blogs, for many reasons), Tasty Food Photography. Out of all the books and guides I’ve read, I can honestly say with all my heart that that’s the one that helped me the most. It’s easy to read, laid out well, and covers pretty much everything you could want to know about food photography.
And anything you’re looking for that isn’t in the book? You can find at the Food Blogger Pro community.
I was lucky enough to meet Lindsay (and her awesome hubby/assistant/tech guru/money-mastermind, Bjork) at the Food Blog Forum Orlando in February, and got to see and hear first hand about their adventures with PoY, both in panels as well as in person-to-person conversation.
I was, admittedly, a bit starstruck. These two are stars in the food blogger world – they run a supremely successful, popular blog (that I can only hope to emulate to one day), yet are totally normal, grounded people who are just like everyone else. And that makes them that much more approachable, and easier to relate to.
You can imagine my excitement when Lindsay gave me the green light for today’s giveaway – I’m so excited for whoever wins this great prize! It may be one free month at Food Blogger Pro, but I promise you, you’ll stay for much longer. And the eBook is totally worth every penny!
And this cookie is totally worth the calories, too! Make sure you load on the sprinkles!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://stirlingcreamery.com/consumerproducts.php#reserveunsalted” target=”_blank”]Churn84 unsalted butter,[/url] softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup assorted chocolate chips & chunks
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet with butter and set aside.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together for about 2 minutes on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, beating on medium-low speed until JUST combined – do not overmix!
- Remove 1/2 of the cookie dough to a bowl, and add the cocoa powder to the remaining half. Continue to beat on medium-low speed for 30-40 seconds to blend cocoa powder. When dough is uniform, fold 1/3 cup of chips and half the sprinkles in to each dough flavor by hand with a rubber spatula.
- Turn the dough out into the greased skillet in four separate sections, pressing it in to an even layer. Leave a 1/2-inch border between the cookie and the edge of the skillet, which will give it room to expand so it doesn’t climb up the sides.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Give it at least 5 minutes to cool before digging in, but when you’re ready to serve, top it with your favorite chocolate ice cream, caramel and chocolate sauce, more chocolate chips, and extra sprinkles! Enjoy!
What’s the craziest cake you’ve ever made for a party or celebration?
Today’s giveaway is graciously sponsored by the sweet Ostrom’s of Pinch of Yum!
GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED! SORRY!
IN THE SPIRIT OF FULL DISCLOSURE, THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING THAT I MAY RECEIVE COMMISSIONS IF YOU DECIDE TO PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM COMPANIES I AFFILIATE WITH. I ONLY EVER RECOMMEND PRODUCTS & SYSTEMS THAT I USE AND LOVE MYSELF, AND MY AFFILIATE COMPANIES DO NOT MONETARILY INFLUENCE ANYTHING I POST ABOUT.