This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
This delicious Toasted Coconut Almond Hot Cocoa is made with real chocolate, cream of coconut, and almond milk, and garnished with all the goodness of an old favorite candy bar – it’s a wonderfully satisfying way to warm up this winter!
Yesterday was freaking cold.
For Florida, any temperature below the 70s means jackets and boots, which I am totally alright with. I spent the day indoors at work, but went for a run with a couple of friends at dusk, where I promptly lost the feeling in my nose and fingers in the barely 50-degree weather.
This is the kind of weather I live for! I may be a born-and-bred Floridian, but I clearly have Buffalo blood running through my veins.
Upon returning from the run, I heated up the rest of this Toasted Coconut Almond Hot Cocoa, grabbed a snack, curled up with the pooch on the couch, and proceeded to embark on a solo Netflix binge kind of night.
Don’t judge me.
Let it be known that I am first and foremost and forever a coffee lover.
Given the choice between a cuppa joe and any other kind of hot drink, I’m going to pick coffee every time.
It’s quite the phenomenon, how your tastes change as you age. When I was a kid, and even after starting college, I never thought I’d ever like the bitter brown beverage. I’ve always loved the smell – it brings memories of Nana and Papa rushing over me with every cup I brew.
But never did I dream that I’d be drinking a cup a day, much less multiple cups.
But you know what’s not a great idea?
Drinking coffee at night. At least, unless you’re rushing to get some last-minute work done, and you need to stay awake longer and later than anyone running on 4 hours of sleep should.
And don’t even suggest decaf. That’s bastardization of coffee.
I live for the caffeine, guysssssss.
So, when coffee isn’t an option, I turn to its virginal little sister.
Hot cocoa is one of those things that can only truly be enjoyed on a cold night, preferably next to a crackling fire with your sweetie snuggling next to you.
Sadly, we lack a fireplace, as well as an abundance of cold nights, and my sweetie isn’t always available when I feel like cocoa, so I have to make do.
Me, the pooch, the cocoa, and some Shari’s Berries Handmade Marshmallow Pops. We have a Netflix and Hot Chocolate Party, and no one fights for the clicker.
There’s nothing better to dip in hot cocoa, by the way.
Marshmallow pops : hot chocolate :: Oreos : milk.
(P.S. Get on board and throw your own #HotChocolateParty with some Shari’s Berries coupons!)
- 2 cups almond milk (or cow milk, soy, or kefir)
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup flaked or shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped or slivered almonds
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Mini marshmallows, for garnish
- Combine milk, cream of coconut, extracts, and sugar in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir to combine, and allow to simmer to dissolve sugar.
- Add cocoa powder, chopped chocolate, and salt to milk mixture, turning up the heat to medium-high and bringing to a low boil, stirring frequently to melt chocolate and incorporate. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Toast the coconut and almonds; heat a small saute pan on low, and add coconut and almonds. Stir frequently, allowing it to brown, but not burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve all fancy-pants like, dip rim of mugs in whipped cream, then in a bowl filled with the cooled, toasted coconut/almond mixture.
- Portion out cocoa in each mug, then garnish with a big dollop of whipped cream, mini marshmallows, and sprinkle with the toasted coconut and almonds. Enjoy!