This delicious Toasted Coconut Almond Hot Cocoa is made with real chocolate, cream of coconut, and almond milk, and garnished with all the goodness of an old favorite candy bar – it’s a wonderfully satisfying way to warm up this winter!
Yesterday was freaking cold.
For Florida, any temperature below the 70s means jackets and boots, which I am totally alright with. I spent the day indoors at work, but went for a run with a couple of friends at dusk, where I promptly lost the feeling in my nose and fingers in the barely 50-degree weather.
This is the kind of weather I live for! I may be a born-and-bred Floridian, but I clearly have Buffalo blood running through my veins.
Upon returning from the run, I heated up the rest of this Toasted Coconut Almond Hot Cocoa, grabbed a snack, curled up with the pooch on the couch, and proceeded to embark on a solo Netflix binge kind of night.
Don’t judge me.
Let it be known that I am first and foremost and forever a coffee lover.
Given the choice between a cuppa joe and any other kind of hot drink, I’m going to pick coffee every time.
It’s quite the phenomenon, how your tastes change as you age. When I was a kid, and even after starting college, I never thought I’d ever like the bitter brown beverage. I’ve always loved the smell – it brings memories of Nana and Papa rushing over me with every cup I brew.
But never did I dream that I’d be drinking a cup a day, much less multiple cups.
But you know what’s not a great idea?
Drinking coffee at night. At least, unless you’re rushing to get some last-minute work done, and you need to stay awake longer and later than anyone running on 4 hours of sleep should.
And don’t even suggest decaf. That’s bastardization of coffee.
I live for the caffeine, guysssssss.
So, when coffee isn’t an option, I turn to its virginal little sister.
Hot cocoa is one of those things that can only truly be enjoyed on a cold night, preferably next to a crackling fire with your sweetie snuggling next to you.
Sadly, we lack a fireplace, as well as an abundance of cold nights, and my sweetie isn’t always available when I feel like cocoa, so I have to make do.
Me, the pooch, the cocoa, and some Shari’s Berries Handmade Marshmallow Pops. We have a Netflix and Hot Chocolate Party, and no one fights for the clicker.
There’s nothing better to dip in hot cocoa, by the way.
Marshmallow pops : hot chocolate :: Oreos : milk.
(P.S. Get on board and throw your own #HotChocolateParty with some Shari’s Berries coupons!)
- 2 cups almond milk (or cow milk, soy, or kefir)
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup flaked or shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped or slivered almonds
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Mini marshmallows, for garnish
- Combine milk, cream of coconut, extracts, and sugar in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir to combine, and allow to simmer to dissolve sugar.
- Add cocoa powder, chopped chocolate, and salt to milk mixture, turning up the heat to medium-high and bringing to a low boil, stirring frequently to melt chocolate and incorporate. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Toast the coconut and almonds; heat a small saute pan on low, and add coconut and almonds. Stir frequently, allowing it to brown, but not burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve all fancy-pants like, dip rim of mugs in whipped cream, then in a bowl filled with the cooled, toasted coconut/almond mixture.
- Portion out cocoa in each mug, then garnish with a big dollop of whipped cream, mini marshmallows, and sprinkle with the toasted coconut and almonds. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite way to warm up in the winter?