This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Leave behind the powdered cocoa packets and cuddle up with a mug of thick, rich Homemade Peppermint Hot Chocolate! Whether you make it in your Instant Pot, CrockPot, or stove, you’ll never go back to the boxed stuff after you try this decadent winter drink!
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
Believe it or not, it’s also feeling like Christmas, even down here in the Sunshine State!
We’ve had pretty mild, chilly, dreary weather in the last week or two. It’s been exactly what I needed to start feeling the holiday spirit.
It doesn’t take much for me to wanna curl up with a book and a mug of hot cocoa, but I’ve really been feeling it lately!
JUST TAKE ME TO THE PEPPERMINT HOT CHOCOLATE ALREADY!
If you’d rather skip my (pretty darn helpful) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this deliciously easy Instant Pot hot chocolate recipe, just scroll right on down to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card!
If you’ve never had homemade hot chocolate, you’re severely missing out.
I’m sure most Americans, like myself, grew up with those pale blue boxes of hot cocoa in the house. You know – the one with the teeny hard marshmallows that fluff up in the warm, mildly chocolate-flavored water.
Memories of disappointing drinks aside, there were never enough marshmallows in those packets for me. Come winter, Nana always made sure there was an extra bag in the cupboard for our late night winter vacation TV sessions.
I’m sure as I am of anything that, if she had tried this homemade hot chocolate recipe, her chocoholic self would have loved it as much as I do.
Aside from daily coffee, and the occasional cup of chamomile tea, I don’t drink a lot of hot bevs.
It’s Florida. There’s very few times where a hot drink hits the spot.
I make exceptions for this stuff, though. It’s so perfectly thick and rich, it’s almost like drinking chocolate ganache.
Of course, that’s also a thought I’m not opposed to.
How To Make Hot Chocolate In Your Instant Pot
Your InstaPot isn’t just for cooking meals, you know!
You can make some pretty amazing desserts in an electric pressure cooker, and this peppermint hot chocolate recipe absolutely falls into that category.
All you have to do is place the milk, cream, chocolate chips, sugar, cocoa powder, and extract in the inner pot of your Instant Pot. Seal it, cook on manual – high pressure for 1 minute, then allow it to naturally release completely before stirring and serving.
(You may want to consider getting an extra sealing ring or two – just to keep savory scents out of your cocoa! Make sure you get the right size for your model, though!)
Crockpot Hot Chocolate
If you’re more of a set-it-and-forget-it type, you can also make an equally delightful hot cocoa in your slow cooker!
Combine the milk, cream, chocolate chips, sugar, cocoa powder, and extract in your Crock Pot and let it cook down on low for an hour or two. When everything is melted, stir it all up and serve!
Homemade Hot Chocolate On The Stove
Of course, if you have no fun appliances, you can always make your cocoa on your stovetop. This was my preferred method until I tried it in my Instant Pot, and it works like a charm!
- In a Dutch oven set over medium-low heat, combine milk, cream, sugar, and cocoa and stir well. Bring the mixture to a low simmer, continuing to stir to prevent scorching.
- Add the chocolate chips and extract and stir frequently until everything is melted and well-combined.
- Serve in hefty mugs and top with piles of whipped cream and sprinkles, marshmallows, or candy cane stirrers.
How To Make Keto Hot Chocolate
If you’re behaving yourself and staying in ketosis, but find yourself craving a cup of cocoa – you can still have it!
You can even swap some of the milk out for more cream if you want to really up the fat. Just be sure to add some water to thin it out a bit, otherwise you’re going to have cocoa that’s too thick to drink!
LOOKING FOR MORE HOT COCOA RECIPES?
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE HOT COCOA:
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chips 60%+ cocoa
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract or extract of choice
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add all of the ingredients in the inner pot of an Instant Pot and mix well. Secure the lid and cook on Manual High for 1 minute.
- Allow a 20-minute natural release, then remove the lid and stir well to combine.
- Serve garnished with marshmallows, whipped cream, sprinkles, or crushed peppermints.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add all of the ingredients in the crock of a slow cooker and mix well. Seal the lid and cook on low heat for 1-2 hours. Stir well before serving.
- Combine the milk, cream, sugar, and cocoa in a large Dutch oven set over medium-low heat. Bring the mixture to a low simmer, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Add the chocolate chips and extract and mix well. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the chocolate is melted and well combined.
PIN THIS HOMEMADE HOT COCOA FOR LATER!