This dense chocolate cake is spiced and flavored like a mug of Hot Buttered Rum, then doused in a butter rum glaze – it’s the ultimate boozy bundt!
Hello. My name is Erica, and I’m addicted to chocolate.
It really doesn’t matter what time of day, month (haha), or year it is; if it’s dark, milk, or white; whether it’s melted or chunked or mixed with nuts or fruits or more sugar…I want it all.
So, aside from hosting today’s CA (Chocoholic’s Anonymous) meeting, I’m also taking part in my very first #BundtBakers month, and I can’t wait to show-and-tell this decadent Hot Chocolate Buttered Rum Bundt recipe with you!
As if I need a reason to bake a cake once a month.
So, let’s see, we’ve rehashed my love of all things chocolate, but you should also know I’m a fan of rum, too.
Only, I prefer it in my baked goods. Specifically, in rum cake. I fell in love with the boozy little cakes of goodness in the Bahamas many years ago, and have made it a point to make at least one a year.
It’s sort of a revisiting, I suppose, of an incredibly happy time in my life. I was super young – just over the legal drinking age, actually – and on my very first cruise (and first time out of the United States) with my then-boyfriend/now-husband and a handful of close friends. It was an experience I’ll never forget, and every bite of this rum cake makes the memories that much sweeter.
When I saw the theme for November #BundtBakers was Hot Chocolate, I had a moment. My thoughts immediately flew to rum cake, but I wanted to put a fun twist on it. I flipped the pages in my brain’s (limited) cocktail catalog, and settled on the Buttered Rum Cocktail.
How do you better enjoy fall weather, cake, and chocolate, than with a hot and buttery tumbler of rum?
This cake was an experiment from the start. I next-to-never make cakes with melted butter – it’s either creamed with the sugar, or I turn to my trusty coconut oil. Looking at the recipe for buttered rum, I sort of merged it with the chocolate cake base, and heated it all together on the stove top, afraid I would mess it up with every step. Even while I was turning it out on to my cake stand, and I had to smack the pan a couple of times to loosen the cake, I felt a familiar chill shoot through me right before I revealed the finished product.
Sometimes, it takes me a good three or four tries to get a new recipe perfected before I’m happy with it, and can share it on the blog. I’m happy to report this was a one shot winner!
This cake isn’t standard Thanksgiving fare, but don’t tell me you can’t see it looking lovely (and enticing) next to the sea of pies on your table.
There is a ridiculous amount of rum in this beauty, so you could always call it your nightcap. Or, if you’re an early riser, your Black Friday recovery meal.
After avoiding the crazies to get the best deals on Christmas gifts, there is no better treat to relax you than a piece of this bundt!
Hot Chocolate Buttered Rum Bundt #BundtBakers
This dense chocolate cake is spiced and flavored like a mug of Hot Buttered Rum, then doused in a butter rum glaze - it's the ultimate boozy bundt!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks Churn84 unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1 1/2 cups plus 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Buttered Rum Glaze
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2 Tablespoons butter
Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 326 degrees F. Spray a 15-cup bundt pan with baking spray, then dust with 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder; set aside
- Whisk flour, baking soda and powder, and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, combine butter, buttermilk, coffee, rum, cocoa powder, and spices and stir. Heat until butter melts and all ingredients come together, then whisk in sugars, stirring until dissolved. Cool mixture for 5 minutes, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla extract, and add to cooled chocolate rum mixture, stirring until combined.
- Add flour mixture and stir until just combined - batter will be rather thin but slightly lumpy/bubbly.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted to the bottom comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes while you prepare the glaze.
Make the Buttered Rum Glaze
- In a small saucepan, dissolve brown sugar into cream over medium-low heat. When combined, add rum and set heat to low. Allow to simmer until liquid is reduced and thickens. Add butter and stir to melt, then remove from heat.
- Using a skewer, poke multiple holes across the bottom of the cake. Spoon or brush buttered rum glaze on the cake, and allow to soak 5-10 minutes, then repeat with more glaze two more times. Let cake soak & cool 20-30 minutes.
- When cake is cooled, turn it out on to a cake plate. Brush top and sides of cake with remaining glaze, making multiple passes over it until it's all used up.
- Top with whipped cream or ice cream if desired, and serve with Buttered Rum Cocktails. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 727kcal Calories from fat 343|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 38g||58%|
|Saturated Fat 23g||115%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
What is your favorite kind of bundt cake?
Feast your eyes on these other amazing Hot Chocolate themed cakes from my fellow Bundt Bakers!
- Autumn Spiced Pumpkin Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
- Aztec Hot Chocolate Bundt by I Sugar Coat It!
- Baileys Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Liv for Cake
- Bourbon Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Bourbon Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by I Bake He Shoots
- Carob Hot Chocolate Cake by A Kingdom for A Cake
- Chocolate and Tiffany’s Bundtcake by La mejor manera de hacer…
- Chocolate Chips Orange Bundt Cake by Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Mocha Bundt Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Godiva Hot Chocolate Mini Bundt Cakes by Our Good Life
- Hot Chocolate and Caramel Bundt Cake by I love Bundt Cakes
- Hot Chocolate and Churros Bundt Cake by Patty’s Cake
- Hot (Chocolate) Buttered Rum Bundt by The Crumby Cupcake
- Hot Chocolate Habanero Bundt Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Hot Chocolate Lavender Bundt Cake by Adventures in All Things Food
- Hot Cocoa Almond Bundt Cake by SimplyVeggies
- Irish Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by From Gate to Plate
- Kahlua Drenched Dark Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Bundt by Living the Gourmet
- Nutella y Toffee Bundt Cake by Los Chatos Chefs
- Orange Pisco White Chocolate Bundt by Food Lust People Love
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cake by The Spiced Life
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate Bundt by Tartacadabra
- Toffee Chip Hot Chocolate Pound Cake by Magnolia Days
- Venetian Drinking Chocolate Cake by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Hot Chocolate Peppermint Bundt by Noshing With The Nolands
- White Hot Chocolate Pound Cake by My Catholic Kitchen
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving Bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all of our lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest Board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers can be found on our homepage.