This is not your ordinary crockpot chili – this Spicy Pumpkin Sweet Potato Chili is packed with all that plus beef, pork, beans, and tons of fall flavor!
My crock pot has found it’s fall/winter home on my counter top, guys.
I’m so excited! Nothing makes me happier in the fall after a long day at work than walking in my front door, shedding my jacket and shoes, and basking in the smells of something amazing cooking in my slow cooker.
It’s almost as wonderful as coming home to Mr. Crumby’s cooking.
When it comes to chili, I normally stick to one basic recipe, because I know how popular it is with my man. For pumpkin week I, of course, had to shake it up a little. Not only did I add pumpkin, I tossed some other fall friends in there with it. Meet my Spicy Pumpkin Sweet Potato Chili!
Welcome to #PumpkinWeek day 4! Hosted by Terri from Love and Confections, 19 Bloggers will be sharing 65 pumpkin-filled recipes over the course of the week. Be sure to come back every day to see all the delicious creations – from muffins to cakes, cocktails, breakfast baked goods, savory pastas and stews, and gluten-free recipes too. You can also find these great recipes and more on Love and Confections’ #PumpkinWeek Pinterest Board!
I don’t normally think potato when I think chili (that’s more of a stew thang,) but in this dish, it totally works. Which makes me think it would likely work in any chili.
And I’m reconsidering my whole chili game thanks to this discovery.
This recipe makes a full 6-quart batch of chili. Like, to the brim, to the point where it’s almost hard to stir. So, obviously, we ended up with leftovers for about three days.
Fine with me. Next to pizza and baked ziti, chili is my fave leftover.
When I told the folks at work what I was heating up for lunch, a few of them wrinkled their noses. Clearly, these people have never used pumpkin in a savory way before, so they wouldn’t know that it doesn’t make the chili taste like pie.
Far from it, actually. It makes it slightly creamy, and gives it a nice fall flavor, but aside from that…this chili is just chili, with a few differences.
Ever since making my first boozy chili, I’ve decided all of my future chili recipes must include beer. If nothing else, it helps to get rid of all the beer we don’t like that people leave in our fridge when they come over on Fantasy Football Sunday.
I’m lookin’ at you, IPA.
In the case of this chili, the pumpkin beer was a no brainer. If you decide to make it off-season, when there is no pumpkin beer to be found, you can just use that bottle of Rolling Rock or Coors that’s tucked in the recesses of your fridge that you know you’re not going to drink.
The chili will taste just as good (as long as you add more pumpkin spice!) and you’ll free up some fridge space, to boot.
And if you’re not a beer drinker? Just sub it out for beef broth. Ain’t no shame in your game.
Spicy Pumpkin Sweet Potato Chili #PumpkinWeek
This is not your ordinary crock pot chili - it's packed with pumpkin, sweet potato, beef, pork, beans, and tons of fall flavor!
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or ground chicken)
- 1/4 pound pork loin, cubed
- 1 can tomatoes & chilies (Rotel)
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 (12oz.) bottle pumpkin beer (or 1 1/2 cups beef broth)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 3-4 Tablespoons chili powder, divided
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cumin, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef, seasoning it with salt and chili powder. Drain fat and transfer to crock pot.
- Season the pork cubes with ½ teaspoon cumin and a pinch nutmeg, then sear in the same skillet. Add to crock pot.
- Combine remaining ingredients to crock pot, stirring well.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally if you are able.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar if desired upon serving. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 440kcal Calories from fat 108|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 12g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 15g||60%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
How do you like to season your chili?
#PumpkinWeek day 4 recipes:
- Pumpkin Almond Croissants from Love and Confections.
- Pumpkin Cake Pops from Dizzy Busy and Hungry.
- Pumpkin Carrot Cake from Making Miracles.
- Pumpkin-Chocolate Babka from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
- Pumpkin Cranberry Mini Muffins from Feeding Big and more.
- Pumpkin Dip from Gluten Free Crumbley.
- Pumpkin Fudge from That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
- Pumpkin Pie Martini from The Redhead Baker.
- Pumpkin Spice Creamer from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks.
- Spicy Pumpkin Sweet Potato Chili from The Crumby Cupcake.
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Mousse from A Day in the Life on the Farm.