This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
A super simple Mexican-style crock pot chili, simmered all day with a bottle of your favorite beer!
I am a HUGE chili fan.
It is, hands down, one of my all-time favorite meals. I love it all year round, but especially when it starts getting cold (which it totally is, you can’t tell me different!)
Kind of a no brainer, really.
Ice on your sidewalk, snow on your car, blustery wind in your face, cold in your bones.
What better way to warm yourself to the core than with a hot bowl of spicy chili!?
Namely, this Crock Pot Mexican Beer Chili, which came together in my crock pot all day Sunday, just in time for dinner.
Last Saturday was great! The early days of vacation, sleeping in, and our annual Friend-O-Ween Party were all the activities on our short to-do list that day.
After a late start on the 45-minute drive to the party, a very long, fun night (we pulled in our driveway at 3am!), and way too little sleep, Sunday morning was not something I wanted to participate in.
Like, despite the hour we gained from returning to Standard Time, I still hit the snooze button about a dozen times before I finally, miserably rolled out of bed.
A big glass of water and an aspirin later, my normal, morning-tolerant self was still nowhere to be found.
And I was supposed to produce a crock pot dinner involving something I’d had a bit too much of the night before?
(I was still feeling pretty light-headed and sour-bellied at this point.)
Oh well. I sucked it up. I dumped everything in the crock and went to lay down on the couch for a bit.
You can trust me when I say, by the time dinner was ready, I was ready for beer again.
Guys. Beer is good.
But can we talk for a second about how good it is in food?
Hops and barley and yeast and all that nonsense aside, beer brings out the best in dishes with deep, rich flavor. It makes a great marinade, holds its own in BBQ sauce, gives bread an entirely new dimension of flavor, and makes boiled bratwurst that much better!
Even in sweets, beer enhances the most simple flavors. (Like pairing Guinness and chocolate in my Boozy Chocolate Bomb Cupcakes!)
As for chili, it gives it a bold taste that it deserves.
Beer generally makes a great companion for chili, but you almost don’t need to drink one with this – the recipe takes a whole bottle!
Don’t worry about the alcohol content, though. It cooks right out!.
Yeah, feel free to crack open that brewski, my friend. Have a little beer with your beer.
Crock Pot Mexican Beer Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 1/4 lbs. ground beef
- 3/4 lb. ground pork
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 bottle beer I recommend Corona, Sol, Presidente, or Dos Equis
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes & chiles
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can sweet kernel corn
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook together until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Place onions and garlic in crock and return pan to heat. Add ground beef and pork to pan and cook thoroughly, until no pink remains. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of grease, and place meat and remaining grease in crock.
- Add tomato sauce, beer, diced tomatoes, beans, corn, cocoa powder, and spices to crock and stir until everything is well distributed.
- Cook on low heat for 5-6 hours. Serve with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and a garnish of green onion.