This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Get dinner on the table in 20 minutes with these Korean Ground Beef Bulgogi Tacos! A Mexican twist on the classic bulgogi recipe replaces the sliced steak with a ground beef & mushroom blend, then it’s piled into fresh tortillas with rice, veggies, kimchi, and a drizzle of sriracha!
Guess who’s on a taco kick?! I’m not even ashamed. And I don’t need a Tuesday for these Beef Bulgogi Tacos.
My pantry is starting to look like the international aisle at the grocery store. Between the vast number of Asian sauce and seasoning bottles and different sizes and types of tortilla shells in there, I could open a hybrid food truck and stock it for at least a couple of weeks.
…A hybrid food truck where these Mexican-Korean tacos would be welcomed and devoured with open arms.
These Korean Ground Beef Bulgogi Tacos will change the way you look at tacos!
For some reason, mixing cuisines in dinner recipes is just so fun for me. Experimenting with flavors, seeing which ones work together and which don’t make for a fun day in the kitchen for me. And I have yet to hear Abe complain about any of my creations.
These tacos were a pretty big hit since he’s as big a taco fan as I am. The simple Korean flavors taste surprisingly delicious on tortillas and would be equally yummy (if not more sensical) on lettuce wraps for all you low-carb folks.
You could also just enjoy the blended Korean ground beef in a rice bowl and eat it with a fork if tacos aren’t your thing.
What is beef bulgogi?
Bulgogi literally means “fire meat”, a popular Korean dish made of thin, marinated slices of beef steak or pork grilled on a barbecue, or cooked on a stove-top griddle or in a wok. This recipe takes that marinade and turns it into a simmering sauce for the ground beef and mushroom blend.
How do you make Beef Bulgogi Tacos?
This simple Asian dinner is done in about 20 minutes!
- 1. Whisk bulgogi sauce ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside.
- 2. Heat a large wok over medium heat. Combine the ground beef, finely chopped mushrooms, and garlic and stir, cooking until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Drain if necessary.
- 3. Reduce the heat to low. Pour the bulgogi sauce over the beef-mushroom blend and stir. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- 4. Serve the ground beef bulgogi in tortillas or lettuce wraps with steamed rice, kimchi, and sliced vegetables. Drizzle each taco with sriracha and enjoy.
An added bonus to these tacos (aside from the unique flavors) is how healthy they can be! Plus, blending the beef with low-sodium portobello mushrooms helps reduce your sodium intake. This blend needs very little liquid (after the mushrooms cook down, there is a lot of added water in the wok), but a bulgogi sauce is a requirement to get the right flavors.
And what’s one of the main ingredients in bulgogi? Salty soy sauce. Since mushrooms are low in sodium and rich in umami, very little soy sauce is needed in to capture that bulgogi taste. Plus, using them in place of half of the ground beef cuts down the fat and cholesterol (both of which mushrooms have ZERO of), and each taco is low-calorie – just like your favorite fungi!
Are you up to the challenge? Take the monthly Blenditarian Challenge! (you could win $250!)
Love mushrooms? Try these other recipes using your favorite fungi!
- Scalloped Potato Beef & Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie
- Nana’s Golabki (Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
- Mushroom Spinach Risotto
Korean Ground Beef Bulgogi Tacos
Get dinner on the table in 20 minutes with these Korean Ground Beef Bulgogi Tacos! A Mexican twist on the classic bulgogi recipe replaces the sliced steak with a ground beef & mushroom blend, then it's piled into fresh tortillas with rice, veggies, kimchi, and a drizzle of sriracha!
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 8 ounces portobello (cremini) mushrooms, finely chopped
- Flour or corn tortillas, or large butter lettuce leaves
- Steamed white rice
- Thinly sliced red cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, jalapenos, radish, scallions
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large wok over medium heat. Combine the ground beef, finely chopped mushrooms, and garlic and stir, cooking until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Drain if necessary.
- Reduce the heat to low. Pour the bulgogi sauce over the beef-mushroom blend and stir. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Serve the ground beef bulgogi in tortillas or lettuce wraps with steamed rice, kimchi, and sliced vegetables. Drizzle each taco with sriracha and enjoy.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 100kcal Calories from fat 46|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Pin this Ground Beef Bulgogi Taco recipe for later!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.