This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Crispy, crunchy, and lovingly garnished with dark chocolate, coconut, and almonds, these are the almost-brownies you won’t be able to stop snacking on!
Yeah, I’m talking to you.
I see you eyeing that last corner brownie.
For those of us who love the crispy edges in the brownie pan, there is nothing like eating your way through a soft, fudgey square of chocolatey goodness, just to save the edge pieces for the last bites.
We are texture people.
There’s just something about the slightly over baked, crispy-meets-chewy deliciousness that is the brownie edge, that the geniuses over at Sheila G’s Brownie Brittle came up with an actual bark-style snack in a bag.
This Coconut Almond Brownie Brittle is my attempt – no, my homage – to Sheila G.
I don’t make brownies enough in my house.
Ask my husband. He LOVES brownies. To the point where I’ll make a pan and get only one or two squares IF I get to them before I fall asleep.
He’s a bit of a late-night snacker.
I love me some brownies, though. It may be in vain, but I do attempt to not keep a lot of junk food in the house. Which probably seems impossible, seeing as how I run a food blog full of dessert recipes.
Let’s just say I have a lot of happy, well-fed friends.
I didn’t feel so bad about leaving these brownie brittle snacks out for Mr. Crumby to munch on, however. If you take out the (nearly negligible) sugar equation, they’re almost healthy!
They’re made with egg whites and coconut oil, which are at least healthier than the ingredients that go in your standard brownie. Plus, you’ve got your dark chocolate (good for your heart!), almonds and coconut (good fats!), and even some milk (dairy protein!)
Hot damn. If I can convince myself that they’re guilt free, surely I can convince you!
But, you know…even if you’re not worried about how healthy they may or may not be…just look at them.
Come on, crispy brownie lovers – they’re perfectly dippable in coffee, great for crumbling on top of ice cream, or, you know, just for snacking on while you catch up on your favorite TV shows.
I’m actually going to use a batch this weekend to top some baby shower cupcakes for a good friend (I’ll be sure to take pictures!)
This brownie brittle is also a very kid friendly recipe! They’ll have a blast helping you spread the mess on the cookie sheet and sprinkle on the toppings.
And as far as the toppings go, if you aren’t a fan of coconut and almonds, this recipe is beautiful without them. You can add anything you want to the top – whatever makes your heart go pitter-patter!
Be sure to stop by the blog tomorrow for an exciting announcement and a new giveaway!
Coconut Almond Brownie Brittle
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon non-fat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips plus more for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup almonds slivered, chopped, or sliced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, then spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy.
- Add sugar and whisk to combine; then add cocoa powder, espresso powder, oil, and vanilla, whisking until smooth.
- Whisk in salt, baking powder, and powdered milk, then add flour and stir until well-combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter on to cookie sheet and spread as thinly as possible with a spatula- the thinner, the crispier!
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with the extra chocolate chips, coconut, and almonds.
- Bake for 20 minutes; remove pan from oven and, using a pizza cutter, score the brittle. Return to oven for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow brittle to cool on the cookie sheet before breaking it apart and digging in!