This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
A simple twist on a favorite candy, these Buckeye Crunch Bars incorporate Nestlé® Crunch® to add a whole new dimension to this chocolate peanut butter bar.
I don’t get bored easily.
Between work, my little family, friends and my active social life, and keeping up with this lovely little blog, I’ve always got something to do or somewhere to be.
It’s freaking exhausting.
Sometimes I miss the days where I had to try to find something to occupy my free time, although more often than not, boredom landed me in the kitchen, which is how The Crumby Cupcake came to be.
Yep, my #LifeHacktoBoredom is getting lost in my kitchen, among my pots and pans and sprinkles and seven different kinds of salt. It’s my haven, so it’s no surprise when things like these Buckeye Crunch Bars come out of it – combining two of my favorite flavors into one smooth and crunchy dessert is my idea of fun!
Who else here like to toss chocolate in their movie popcorn?
Given a choice between the plain overly buttered kind and enhancing it with candy, I’ll dump a box of chocolate in any time. I like to think of the hot butter acting as a river, guiding the chocolatey goodness all the way down to the very last kernel.
My candy of choice for that particular job was, is, and always will be Nestlé® BunchaCrunch®. I grew up adoring Crunch bars thanks to Nana, so naturally I’d love the little nuggets of crunchy goodness, as well.
Experiments like my Crunch popcorn, and these bars, are the sorts of ideas that float around constantly in my brain. Leaves me little time to be bored, even when I’m trying to fall asleep.
It can be pretty scary in there, let me tell you.
Mash ups are fun, and this recipe is a simple example of taking something beloved, the infamous buckeye, and shaking it up by making it flat and adding something a little unconventional.
To balance out the sweetness of the melted down milk chocolate Nestlé® Crunch®, I would recommend using an all-natural peanut butter, or at least something with less sugar than your favorite popular brand.
If you’re a big fan of crunchy, opt for peanut butter that’s not so creamy, and you’ll wind up with two different kinds of crunch on your palate!
As far as the size of the bars go? I got a tad overzealous with mine up there. Out of a 9×9 pan, I cut twelve squares, but these bars are super rich…on the suggestion of Mr. Crumby and my Bestie, Angel, you might want to quarter those twelve in thirty-six.
Sugar highs are definitely not boring, but the fallout and the sugar coma is a real bummer.
- 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 9-ounce pouches Nestlé® BunchaCrunch® (or 1 cup chopped Crunch® bars)
- Line a 9×9 square cake pan with foil and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or large mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup melted butter, confectioners sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla. Beat together until the ingredients blend evenly and form a dough-like consistency, about 3-4 minutes.
- Press the dough evenly into the foil lined pan with your hands.
- In a microwaveable bowl (or double boiler), combine BunchaCrunch® and remaining butter. Heat for 30 second intervals, stirring until the chocolate is melted and becomes stirrable (about 1.5-2 minutes.)
- Spread over top of peanut butter layer, and allow to set for at least an hour before cutting.