Super fudgy Black Forest Brownies, bursting with fresh cherries and chocolate chunks – truly a chocolate lover’s dream!
Brownies are a chocoholic’s dream!
Ask any one of us. I promise, at least 8/10 will say the ultimate chocolate dessert is a think, fudgy, cocoa-filled square of pure happiness.
Top it with a scoop of ice cream, and you won’t even need dinner.
It’s Friday. Dessert is a totally acceptable dinner.
A perfect companion for chocolate is the loveliest little fruit of them all (in my opinion), the cherry. Cherry season is short, but if you can find some, I’m begging you to make these Black Forest Brownies!
They’re just about the moistest, fudgiest brownies to have come from my kitchen, and if you’re a chocolate lover, I really think you’ll fall in love with them like I did!
JUST TAKE ME TO THE BLACK FOREST BROWNIES ALREADY!
If you’d rather skip my (pretty darn helpful) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this deliciously easy fudge brownie recipe, just scroll right on down to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card!
I still can’t decide how I loved them better – with or without the whipped cream topping.
I’ve made these babies three times since my first batch.
Purely scientific, baking, kitchen reasons, I assure you. Not just because I have an insatiable appetite for brownies. No way.
Cocoa powder, melted semi-sweet chocolate, chocolate chunks…the only way I could have made them chocolatier would have been by using chocolate covered cherries.
In hindsight, that’s an interesting idea.
These brownies are absolutely divine straight out of the pan with a glass of cold milk.
If you’re looking for something a bit on the fancy side, slathering them with whipped cream and chocolate shavings is the way to go to get that classic “black forest” look.
Maybe even mix a little Kirsch in a chocolate ganache, and drizzle that on top for an extra kick?
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES USING CHERRIES?
- Black Forest Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Cherry Lime Baked Donuts
- Balsamic-Roasted Cherry Almond Galette
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Dessert Grilled Cheese
- Black Cherry Cupcakes
- Plum Cherry Crisp
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Fresh Cherry Margaritas
- Cherry Cabernet Burger with Caramelized Onions
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE BROWNIES:
Black Forest Brownies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cherries chopped (or frozen)
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- Whipped cream for garnish, optional
- Chocolate shavings for garnish, optional
- Fresh cherries for garnish, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter, cocoa powder, and chopped chocolate together over medium heat. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray and 8x8 cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugars and eggs together for 3 minutes with a hand mixer, until thick and pale.
- Mix in vanilla and cooled chocolate/butter mixture, then fold in flour and salt with a spatula. Stir until just combined.
- Gently stir in cherries and chocolate chunks, then pour batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before garnishing with whipped cream, shaved chocolate, and fresh cherries, if desired.
PIN THIS BLACK FOREST BROWNIE RECIPE FOR LATER!
Madison | Wetherills Say I Do says
You are KILLING me with these brownies. They look absolutely amazing.
Oh man, I LOVE cherry and chocolate together! I can’t wait to try these. 🙂
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm says
oh my goodness, these are definitely going on my to make list. Black Forest Cake is one of my favorites.
Erin @ The Speckled Palate says
Oh, heck yes! You can’t beat a good chocolatey brownie, and I bet these are outstanding with the added cherries! Adding these to my to-bake list! <3
Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs says
These brownies look absolutely divine! I’m not going to lie brownies aren’t my forte…I often struggle to get them out of the pan in one piece because I am trying to devour them while still warm / hot / straight out of the oven….. these look fab!
Best brownies ever made!!! Put in 1/2cup chopped choc and 1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts instead of a whole cup chopped choc.. and no topping needed 🙂
Chris Nelson says
Cherry season is done here. Can you substitute cherry pie filling instead?
Delicious! Great success
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I LOVE Black Forest Cake but I have given up ordering them at a restaurant or a bakery . I am not a cake baker but I think I can make brownies. Wish me luck or invite me over next time you make them!
This is a family favorite. As soon as we see cherries in the store, I break out this recipe. Simply divine!