This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Prepare to appreciate sandwiches in a whole new way with this Dark Chocolate Cherry Dessert Grilled Cheese! Fresh bing cherries, sweetened Mascarpone, and luscious dark chocolate melted on brioche make this a sandwich destined for your dessert menu!
If this thing doesn’t taste like a summer-fall baby, I don’t know what does.
I don’t mean an actual baby. But, like, if summer cherries married dark chocolate, and they somehow had a baby, it would be this dessert grilled cheese sandwich.
Seriously, how are these not more popular?
I’ve been on a serious cherry, peach, and watermelon kick this summer. I blame the farmer’s market – they draw me in with their super cheap sale prices, and then I can’t get out of there without spending $40 on all the produce. I’ve picked up everything from giant poblano peppers to cute little lychee pods, farm-fresh Amish chicken eggs to the prettiest head of purple cabbage I’ve ever seen.
I’m starting to think I need to come up with a recipe plan for everything before I buy it, though. I’ve found myself staring at my weekly hauls in disbelief, trying to figure out how I’ll use it all before it goes bad.
I mean, lychee isn’t exactly a run-of-the-mill ingredient in my house (they ended up in a cocktail. WIN!)
I’ve been finding all these strange fruits, but still can’t find either white OR pink dragonfruit. You have no idea how badly I’ve been craving some – I blame Instagram. All those jerks and their pretty smoothie bowls and fruit platters with their fresh dragonfruit.
If someone express mailed me some, it would make my life. Tropical as coastal Florida is, we are clearly not on the same summer fruit wavelength as the rest of this equatorial region.
I digress. Cherries, however, have been in my house since the first day I laid eyes on them in the grocery store.
I hoard cherries. HOARD THEM. Their season is so blissful and yet, so short, so the Hubs and I have been enjoying them to the fullest – he and his Rainiers, and me with my Bings. (We also differ on grape preferences, in case you were curious. Probably not.) I stock up, pit them, and freeze them when they’re 99 cents a bag, too.
Frugality at it’s best.
I’ve been using these summer gems in everything. Cocktails, smoothies, salads (one coming at you next week,) desserts, a pie (you may as well call next week #CherryWeek,) and this here fun little dessert grilled cheese sandwich right here.
Gotta get in all the cherry love while we still can.
Melty dark chocolate. Soft, gooey, slightly sweetened mascarpone (or cream cheese if you prefer – I tried this with both and they were equally perfect.) Fresh cherries, all warmed up but still texture heaven. All inside of two buttery, salty, perfectly grilled slices of brioche (or whatever you’ve got.)
Simple. Tasty. Confusing, since it’s a sandwich plus a dessert.
Totally craveable, right?
Dark Chocolate Cherry Dessert Grilled Cheese
- 1/4 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh cherries pitted & halved
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 4 slices brioche bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine mascarpone, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. Spread mascarpone mixture evenly between two slices of brioche. Top each with a single layer of halved cherries, then sprinkle chocolate between. Spread half of the butter on one side of the other two slices of bread, then place on top of the cherries with the buttered side up, pressing down firmly.
- Heat remaining butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high until melted. Add sandwiches, buttered side up, and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until chocolate is melted and bread is browned. Serve immediately.
Looking for more sandwich recipes? How about a couple more treats made with fresh cherries?
Any day ‘Wiches
- Breakfast Burrito Sandwich on the Go by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Choco Sandwich by Basic N Delicious
- Whole30 Sundried Tomato Turkey Sliders by Bites of Wellness
- Ham & Spinach Breakfast Sandwich by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Low Carb Breakfast Sandwich by Lowcarb-ology
- Matcha Ice Cream Teatime Sandwiches by NinjaBaker.com
- Maple Almond Ice Cream Sandwiches by Pies and Plots
- Chicken Spiedies by Positively Stacey
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Dessert Grilled Cheese by The Crumby Kitchen
Any time ‘Wiches
- BLFGT Sandwich (Bacon Lettuce Fried Green Tomato) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sausage and Pepper Hoagies by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Dijon Mustard Glazed Juicy Pulled Pork Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Southern Sweet Tea Brined Chicken Biscuit Sandwich by Gourmet Everyday
- Muffuletta by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- California Club Sandwich Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Rachel by Our Good Life
- Smoked Salmon on Croissant by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Salad Sandwich by Restless Chipotle
- Authentic Cuban Sandwich by Soulfully Made
- Utlimate veggie sandwich by Authentically Candace
- Tuna Bacon Salsa Wrap by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Peanut Butter and Pepperoni Sandwich by Cricket’s Confections
- Dill Pickle Bacon Grilled Cheese by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich by Healing Tomato
- Grilled Eggplant, Zucchini and Mushroom Sandwich by Mysavoryspoon
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich by Simple and Savory
- Italian Pressed Sandwich by Sunday Supper Movement
- Brie, Jam and Salami Sandwich by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Chicken Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.