This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Super fudgy Black Forest Brownies, bursting with fresh cherries and chocolate chunks – truly a chocolate lover’s dream!
Brownies are a chocoholic’s dream!
Ask any one of us. I promise, at least 8/10 will say the ultimate chocolate dessert is a think, fudgy, cocoa-filled square of pure happiness. Top it with a scoop of ice cream, and you won’t even need dinner.
It’s Friday. Dessert is a totally acceptable dinner.
A perfect companion for chocolate is the loveliest little fruit of them all (in my opinion), the cherry. Cherry season is long over, but if you can find some, I’m begging you to make these Black Forest Brownies! They’re just about the moistest, fudgiest brownies to have come from my kitchen, and if you’re a chocolate lover, I really think you’ll fall in love with them like I did!
I still can’t decide how I loved them better – with or without the whipped cream topping.
I’ve made these babies three times since my first batch.
Purely scientific, baking, kitchen reasons, I assure you. Not just because I have an insatiable appetite for brownies. No way.
I had to get them just right for #Choctoberfest, guys!
I know, the week is almost over and I’m just now getting a chocolate recipe to you. It’s been a rough week. The kind that almost no chocolate can cure.
Except for the kind in these brownies.
Cocoa powder, melted semi-sweet chocolate, chocolate chunks…the only way I could have made them chocolatier would have been by using chocolate covered cherries.
In hindsight, that’s an interesting idea.
These brownies are absolutely divine straight out of the pan with a glass of cold milk, but if you’re looking for something a bit on the fancy side, slathering them with whipped cream and chocolate shavings is the way to go to get that classic “black forest” look.
Maybe even mix a little Kirsch in a chocolate ganache, and drizzle that on top for an extra kick?
My friends at Imperial Sugar (Dixie Crystals for us Southern folks) are the grand sponsor of this year’s #Choctoberfest, and I couldn’t be happier to give a shout out to my favorite sugarmakers! My Nana was a brand loyalist, and she swore by this company, as do I – they make some damn fine sugars, and my baking heart just loves them for it!!
Black Forest Brownies
Super fudgy Black Forest Brownies, bursting with fresh cherries and chocolate chunks - truly a chocolate lover's dream!
- 3/4 cup Churn84 unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup Imperial granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cherries, chopped
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- Whipped cream (for garnish, optional)
- Chocolate shavings (for garnish, optional)
- Fresh cherries (for garnish, optional)
- In a small saucepan, melt butter, cocoa powder, and chopped chocolate together over medium heat. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray and 8x8 cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugars and eggs together for 3 minutes with a hand mixer, until thick and pale.
- Mix in vanilla and cooled chocolate/butter mixture, then fold in flour and salt with a spatula. Stir until just combined.
- Gently stir in cherries and chocolate chunks, then pour batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before garnishing with whipped cream, shaved chocolate, and fresh cherries, if desired. Otherwise, dig in - they're great warm! Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 466kcal Calories from fat 241|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 27g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||80%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|