Turn an ordinary Italian cookie into a fun & happy brunch conversation treat with these Rainbow Biscotti! Crunchy, twice-baked, and perfect for coffee- and tea-dipping, these funfetti cookies are full of sprinkles & made with love!
Who’s down for some Thursday night baking?!
If you’ve got an hour and an unquenchable taste for cookies full of sprinkled goodness, then I’ve got you.
Have you ever met a biscotti you didn’t like? I know I haven’t, and this recipe is as basic as it gets. It’s a fantastic canvas for all sorts of cookie flavor combos – but I truly think you should start with this rainbow version.
Everyone needs a little color in their life, and these are such a simple way to bring it!
This page includes step by step instructions, as well as tips and notes. If you’d like to skip all that, feel free to scroll down to the full, printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Biscotti are an Italian biscuit (cookie), traditionally consisting of little more than flour, sugar, eggs, and nuts. They are a hard, dry, twice-baked cookie that are usually served with a drink – orange juice or fortified wine in Italy, and coffee or black tea outside of Italy.
This much more Americanized version of biscotti includes baking powder, butter, and vanilla extract, making them a bit less hard and dry than the original.
No less delicious, though. And the sprinkles make them waaayyyyy more fun!
Tips For Making Biscotti
- If the dough is too sticky to handle when fully mixed, knead in a bit of flour until it can be easily handled. Be sure not to add too much flour, though – this will make the biscotti extra dry and brittle.
- Many biscotti recipes advise cutting the baked logs when they’re completely cooled, before the second bake. Hot tip: they cut much more easily when they’re warm out of the oven! Pull the baking sheet from the oven and take your pizza cutter (or serrated knife) to them as soon as you can handle the pan. Flip and send them on to their second bake.
- Don’t care for sprinkles? This biscotti recipe is a great base for all kinds of flavor combos! Try chocolate chips, slivered almonds or pistachios, dried fruit – up to 1 cup of whatever you heart desires!
How Long Does Biscotti Last?
How To Make Biscotti
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside. In a small bowl, add flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking to combine. In a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream together butter and sugars until well-combined.
Then add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts. Add the flour mixture in three batches, mixing until completely combined. Fold in the sprinkles.
Next, transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet. Divide it into two sections and, using lightly floured hands, form the sections into 10×2.5-inch logs. Sprinkle the top with colored sprinkles, if desired, pressing them in lightly to stick.
Bake the biscotti for 25 to30 minutes, or until they’re golden brown. Remove them from the oven and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F. Carefully use a pizza cutter to slice the cookie loaves diagonally into pieces about 1 ½-inch thick. Gently flip the cookies on their sides on the baking sheets.
Finally, return the cookies to the oven and bake for 10 minutes on each side, until they’re crunchy but still give a bit when pressed on. Allow them to cool completely and store the leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
LOOKING FOR MORE COOKIE RECIPES?
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING RAINBOW BISCOTTI:
If you love this recipe, please consider leaving a 5 STAR RATING! If you really love it, leave us a comment and let us know – we appreciate all forms of feedback!
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also enjoy exclusive content before anyone else by subscribing to our weekly newsletter – and you’ll never miss a delicious recipe again!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅓ cup colored sprinkles plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In one bowl, add flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking to combine.
- Cream together butter and sugars with an electric or stand mixer until well-combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Add flour mixture in three batches, mixing until completely combined. Fold in sprinkles.
- Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet and divide into two sections. Using lightly floured hands, form the sections into logs approximately 10 inches long by 2.5 inches wide. Sprinkle tops with colored sprinkles, if desired, pressing them in lightly to stick.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F. When cool enough to handle, use a pizza cutter to carefully slice loaves diagonally into pieces about 1 ½-inch thick. Gently flip cookies on their sides on the baking sheets.
- Return to oven and bake 10 minutes. Flip cookies and bake another 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely, storing leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.