This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie – two flavor favorites, blended into one delightful pie filling, topped with fresh whipped cream & bananas, and nestled in a brown sugar & Cheerios crust!
Did you know that, until the early 1900’s, pie was considered a breakfast food?
Honestly, I can see it. With all the other junk we eat for breakfast today (carbs, I’m looking at you,) I think pie might just be a better choice. Fruit and grains, all wrapped up in a nice little wedge. Why not?
Whether or not that nugget of info is actually true (I did find it on the internet after all,) I think we should reinstate it! And we should start with this Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie – which is even more breakfast appropriate, since the crust is made from Cheerios.
That’s right, I said Cheerios. And butter and brown sugar, of course. How else could you call it a crust??
So what makes this baby peanut buttery?
It all started with the Cheerios.
Remember when Cheerios came in, like, two flavors? Plain and Honey Nut – as a kid, Honey Nut was my jam. Not too sugary, with just the right about of nuttiness.
The selection in the Cheerios section has greatly increased since I was young…the whole cereal aisle has expanded, actually. Sometimes, I have trouble finding what I’m looking for! That’s what happened when I found the Multi Grain Peanut Butter Cheerios – I wasn’t looking for them, but I found them just the same, and they sounded pretty good.
(Don’t go grocery shopping hungry, folks. I ended up buying four boxes – I couldn’t pass up the price!)
I knew half of the box would be destined for a dessert of some sort, and the wheels in my head started turning immediately.
I pair peanut butter with bananas like it’s my job, and, after ruling out cheesecake, pie was the next best thing I could think of.
And who can resist a banana cream pie?
I sent half of this thing home with my Bestie, so she could share it with her family, because I ended up making almost enough filling for two pies!
I kept thinking I should have just stuffed it all in this one. How cool would that have looked? A towering slice of fluffy, peanut butter banana cream cheese filling…
Instead, I grabbed a spoon and proceeded to shovel the filling in my mouth. I kept telling myself it was pudding, anyway.
Aaaaaand I may or may not have sprinkled some extra Cheerios in it, too.
It’s safe to say it was the most glorious bowl of cereal I’ve ever had.
- 2 cups Peanut Butter Multi Grain Cheerios, crushed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (3.4 oz.) box banana pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/3 cup French vanilla coffee creamer
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine Cheerios, brown sugar, and butter in a bowl, stirring until evenly coated. Press into a 9-inch pie plate and bake for 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely before filling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk until blended, about 2 minutes. Set aside and allow to soft set.
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and coffee creamer until smooth. Add pudding and blend evenly.
- In the bottom of the cooled pie crust, spread a 1/4-inch layer, then top with banana slices. Add remaining filling. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to set.
- When ready to serve, whip cream, sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla on high in a cold mixing bowl until medium peaks form. Garnish pie with whipped cream, fresh banana slices, Cheerios, and a drizzle of peanut butter (melt in microwave for 45 seconds.)