Fresh bananas, chocolate graham cracker crust, and a hazelnut filling make this Nutella Banana Cream Pie one to dream about!
I am one of the many people in the world obsessed over Nutella.
I admit it. I love dipping my apples in it; that’s probably my favorite easy snack. But when I get one of the (many) chocolate cravings I suffer (ha) from (haha), and have no apples in the house, I like to sneak to the pantry, grab the Nutella and a spoon, and go to town on the jar.
I have no shame.
This page includes step by step instructions, as well as tips and notes. If you’d like to skip all that, feel free to scroll down to the full, printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Remember, not too long ago, when Ferrero used to say Nutella was healthy for you? All those wholesome commercials with kids and their Nutella toast for breakfast, and then the world wisened up.
Just when we thought something so damn delicious was actually not terrible for you. We should have known better.
But you know what is healthy for you? Bananas!
Unfortunately, I took the healthy part away when I put them in this indulgent Banana Cream Pie.
This pie was born last Saturday, at my best friend’s house.
Mr. Crumby and I made plans to spend the afternoon with her and her SO enjoying the terribly hot Florida weather by the pool with some wine and dessert. That morning, I was terribly motivated to bake something (because pretty much any time I cook or bake, it’s possible blog fodder!), but by the time we’d eaten breakfast and washed up, I was sitting on the couch like a slug, too lazy to do anything but snuggle the Hubs, pet the pooch and enjoy some bad TV.
But, I’d made a promise to bring something sweet to pair with our lunch of Apothic, Sangue di Giuda, and Moscato, and I just couldn’t let my bestie down.
In my semi-lethargic daze, between commercials, I browsed through my Pinterest boards blindly, looking for inspiration. Cupcakes? Nah, too typical for me. It was too late to make and ice a cake for it to be ready in time. Didn’t feel like cookies.
Oooh. Lightbulb. I had just bought a jumbo-sized jar of Nutella.
Pushing all lazy thoughts of just taking the jar and four spoons to her house, I edited my search. Lo and behold, I found Nutella dip! Dozens of different recipes, all working toward the same happy goal.
Now…which one to make?
After a lot of deliberation, and annoyance that I didn’t have any CoolWhip in the fridge (LazyMonster no wanna whip cream!), I decided on one similar to a pumpkin dip I’d made before, from Cooking Classy. A cream cheese-based one, with lots of Nutella, and whipped cream to boot.
Fast-forwarding. We polished off the entire bowl, dipping everything from strawberries to apples to our fingers in it. And at one point, I had an epiphany (with the help of my bestie). Annoyed that I couldn’t dip a banana slice in it without it breaking, I first dipped a chocolate graham cracker, then topped it with the banana slice…
And thus birthed this Nutella Banana Cream Pie recipe.
I lightened up the filling a little more of course, and turned it into a fluffy, creamy vessel for my banana slices…
Nestled it all in a crunchy chocolate graham cracker crust, and topped it with an extra Nutella drizzle and some yummy vanilla whipped cream…
Oh my goodness.
This pie is to die for.
I can’t wait to make it again, so I can see what else I can put in it to make it even better. Strawberries? Coconut? Mini chocolate chips?
The possibilities are practically endless.
More Nutella recipes to love!
If you love this recipe, please consider leaving a 5 STAR RATING! If you really love it, leave us a comment and let us know – we appreciate all forms of feedback!
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also enjoy exclusive content before anyone else by subscribing to our weekly newsletter – and you’ll never miss a delicious recipe again!
Nutella Banana Cream Pie
- 1 ½ cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs finely ground
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Nutella Banana Filling
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ¾ cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- 5 medium bananas sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon, and salt until well blended. Press mixture into two 8- or 9-inch pie plates.
- Bake crust for 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 60 minutes, or in refrigerator for 30.
- In a large bowl, whip heavy cream, 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, & vanilla with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add Nutella, mixing until incorporated.
- Fold ⅔ of the whipped cream into cheese mixture gently with a spatula, until incorporated.
- Place a layer of sliced bananas on the bottom of the pie crust, followed by a layer of Nutella cream. Repeat.
- Spread or pipe the remaining ⅓ of the whipped cream on the top of the pie, and garnish with Nutella drizzle and banana slices.
- Repeat with second crust. Refrigerate at least 2 hours to stiffen to make cutting and serving easier.