A lovely blend of Greek and Italian flavors go into this Mushroom & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast, and it’s topped with an equally lovely white wine reduction.
I’ve kind of developed a new-found fondness for Feta cheese.
I used to hate Greek salads. I guess I still do, but only because olives are the spawn of the devil.
Feta, in all it’s dry, tarty goodness, has grown on me. I find myself picking up a tub at the store almost every time I shop, just knowing that I’ll find some reason to use it. Scrambled eggs, fritattas, salads, pasta, wraps. If the food cries for cheese, I turn to feta. And this Mushroom & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast is the perfect vehicle for my dear feta.
Do you know what plays well with feta? Spinach, and mushrooms, and ricotta!
Before this, I’d never attempted a stuffed chicken breast. There’s something almost sacred about cutting into a fat, juicy piece of white meat that, before now, seemed tainted when paired with anything else.
But I gotta say, the stuffing in this? Delish.
It’s like the Greek (feta & spinach) are the Sharks, and the Italian (ricotta & mushrooms) are the Jets, battling it out in your mouth until BAM. Tony gets shot.
Bah. I guess relating this recipe to West Side Story doesn’t really work, because every bite of this stuffed chicken breast is a happy ending, right down to the white wine sauce. YUM.
Mushroom & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 ounces spinach fresh
- ¼ cup baby Portobello mushrooms diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 scallions chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ⅓ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place breasts in the center of a plastic food storage bag or 2 large sheets of waxed paper. Pound out the chicken from the center of the bag outward using a heavy-bottomed skillet or mallet.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil; sauté onion until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add spinach and proceed to wilt it. Then, stir in mushrooms, lemon zest, salt and pepper and saute until cooked through, about another minute or so.
- Remove from heat and add mixture to a bowl with the scallions, feta and ricotta. Stir to combine.
- Place a mound of stuffing on each breast and wrap and roll breast over the stuffing, being careful not to overfill. Secure the breasts with toothpicks. Season with desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Add remaining oil to the pan. Add breasts to the pan and brown on all sides, cooking chicken 12 to 15 minutes. Be sure not to overcook, times will vary depending on how thin your chicken is. Probe chicken with a meat thermometer if necessary; it's ready when it reaches 165 degrees F
- Remove chicken; add butter to the pan and flour. Cook butter and flour for a minute, creating a roux, then whisk in wine and reduce another minute. Whisk in broth and return breasts to the pan. Reduce heat and simmer until ready to serve.
- Remove toothpicks. Serve breasts whole or, remove from pan and slice on an angle. Plate, top with desired amount of sauce and serve.
Cheesy, spinachy goodness. Nom.
[email protected] says
This looks so delicious!!
erica acevedo says
Thank you! Definitely give it a try and let me know what you think!