It’s the perfect time of year for drinks like this! Hot apple cider and red wine, blended and mulled with honey, apples, clementines, and seasonal spices, then spiked with spiced rum.
Can we just talk about the fact that it’s almost November, my air conditioner is still on every day, and yet…I have a burning desire to wear my fuzzy boots out in the pleasantly mild, yet still 80-degree Florida weather.
I’m fifty shades of crazy, what can I say.
I live for fall! It’s my absolute favorite time of year, and not just because of all the pumpkin-flavored treats. I love walking the pooch during Standard Time dusk, and basking in the smell of my neighbor’s bonfires. Pulling my sweater close as a gust of ocean breeze chills me, and biting down on the complaint that leaps to my lips because I’ve been waiting for this since April.
Snuggling close to Mr. Crumby while we drink mugs of Hot Mulled Apple Cider Sangria (or cocoa or hot toddies or whatever is the drink of the moment) after spending a day in the great outdoors.
I know. I live in the wrong state.
#SundaySupper this week is all about one of the best parts of fall – staying warm!
When I thought about all the warm foods I enjoy, I had a hard time narrowing down the list of what I wanted to share with you guys today.
And then I thought about the fact that, out of the many drink recipes on the blog, none of them are served warm! And one of the very best things to drink warm is apple cider.
But how to make it grown up and hearty?
Behold, another Crumby Cupcake sangria recipe was born.
This is a very simple recipe – essentially, it’s a mulled apple and orange sangria blended with a heavily spiced apple cider. I sweetened it with honey, then tossed in some spiced rum for laughs.
You can have this sangria from bottle to mug in about thirty minutes, too, which is great if you’re looking for a last-minute party punch to share, or just need to unwind from a rough day at work.
I think it tastes best served warm, but I’ve found the longer it sits and the flavors blend, the tastier it is.
That said, I won’t judge you if you skip warming it and just drink it right out of the fridge.
Been there, done that.
You can almost feel the heat, can’t you?
Hot Mulled Apple Cider Sangria
It's the perfect time of year for drinks like this! Hot apple cider and red wine, blended and mulled with honey, apples, clementines, and seasonal spices, then spiked with spiced rum.
- 1 bottle red wine
- 4 cups apple cider
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 1 apple, sliced
- 2 clementines, halved
- Zest of 1 clementine
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 star anise
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 thin slices fresh ginger
- Apple & clementine slices, for garnish
- Combine wine, cider, honey, rum, apple slices, clementines, and zest in a large pot (or slow cooker) set over low heat.
- While liquid warms, toast cinnamon sticks, cloves, anise, vanilla, nutmeg, and ginger in a small pan for 5 minutes, tossing spices around with a wooden spoon occasionally. Add to liquid and stir well.
- Allow sangria to simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring every once in a while to help the honey dissolve and the spices to incorporate. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Serve while hot, garnishing with apple and clementine slices, and a pretty star anise to complement the glass. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 314kcal Calories from fat 6|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
What’s your favorite warm drink to enjoy when it gets chilly?
- Drunken Pumpkin Spice Latte by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot Mulled Caramel Apple Sangria by The Crumby Cupcake
- Mexican Atole by Curious Cuisiniere
- Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Warm Spiked Apple Cider by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Apple Pear Crisp by The Freshman Cook
- Apple Sticky Toffee Pudding by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Bananas Foster by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Hazelnut Lava Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Fudge Pudding Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honeycrisp Apple Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake in Pumpkins by Desserts Required
- Warm Cardamom Rice Pudding by Fearless Dining
Main Dishes and Soups
- Beef Brats and Beans Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits by From Gate to Plate
- Best Ever White Bean and Mushroom Soup by Pancake Warriors
- Braised Venison with Plums by Food Lust People Love
- Butternut Squash Chili by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Fried Sage by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Carbonnade Flamande by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Classic Italian Meat Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Creamy Chickpea Soup by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Creamy Stove-Top Alfredo with Bacon and Butternut Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Noodles by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Curry Debal by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- French Onion Soup by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gingered Butternut Squash Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Hearty Turkey Lentil Soup by A Gouda Life
- Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup by Party Food and Entertaining
- Mango Habanero Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Oxtail Stew by Nosh My Way
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Maple Frosting by Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Red Lentil Soup by My San Francisco Kitchen
- Roasted Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Salsa Verde Turkey Enchilada Casserole by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker English Roast by Wholistic Woman
- Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh by Caroline’s Cooking
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Spice Rubbed Braised Beef by FamFriendsFood
- Spicy Meatball Tortilla Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Sweet Potato and Bacon Soup by Cooking Chat
- Sweet Potato Soup with Apples by Healing Tomato
- Turkey Chipotle Chili by The Complete Savorist
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Ham by Big Bear’s Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.