In need of a quick weeknight dinner? This Grilled Margherita Flatbread is all the delicious pizza taste you want with much less work.
Hitting you with a short & sweet chat about one of my fave quick & easy recipes today!
One of my favorite things about summer (and really one of the only things) is the abundance of perfectly ripe and gorgeous fresh produce. Especially heirloom tomatoes. I’ve always been a tomato fan, but heirlooms hold a special place in my veggie-lovin’ heart.
(Yeah, I know they’re actually a fruit, but they’ll always be veggies to me.)
Oh, the sonnets I could write about those beautifully hideous summer gems. Why do they always taste so much better than every other tomato variety grown during the rest of the year?
I discovered the simple amazingness of Caprese about a decade ago. Since then, I’ve often found myself sitting down with a ball of mozzarella, some juicy sliced ‘maters, (almost always) store bought basil, and the tangiest balsamic I can find and calling it lunch.
If it’s a really good day, there’s a nice glass of wine to go with it.
This Grilled Margherita Flatbread is just the kind of easy meal I’ve come to depend on in the last year or so. During my long, busy days at the bakery, it was a no-stress dinner for Abe and me. Now, it’s a lunch I can look forward to while I’m running around all crazy-like between kitchen and camera. We keep naan bread in the freezer all the time, just for these.
So, we’ve got sweet summer tomatoes. Lots of melty mozzarella. Fresh basil (which, by the way, the basil in these photos? From my herb garden. I didn’t kill it!) Piled on top of fresh-off-the-grill charred, bubbly naan bread.
It’s almost enough to make me actually miss summer.
Just a teeny tiny bit.
Grilled Margherita Flatbread
- 2 cooked naan flatbreads
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 cup baby heirloom tomatoes halved
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Brush both sides of each naan bread with olive oil.
- Grill pan instructions: heat the grill pan over medium-high heat. Place naan in the grill pan, pressing it down with a spatula to sear. Allow the naan to cook 2-3 minutes until it just begins to char, then flip it and cook on the second side for 1-2 minutes until browned. Remove to a sheet pan, then repeat with the second naan.
- Outdoor grill instructions: heat grill to 350 degrees F. Place both naan on the grill and close the lid. Cook 2-3 minutes until grill marks appear underneath. Flip the naan and close the lid, cooking another 1-2 minutes until browned. Remove to a sheet pan.
- Spread the charred side of each naan with half of the tomato sauce. Arrange mozzarella and halved tomatoes each, then place them back on the heat (if using a grill pan, reduce heat to medium). Cover and cook about 2 minutes until the cheese is beginning to melt. Remove from heat, sprinkle with fresh basil, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.