This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Fresh ingredients are the way to go to make the perfect summer cocktail – the Watermelon Mojito! This fruity twist on the classic Cuban mojito will make you feel like you’re lounging beneath the palms no matter where you are!
I’m apparently obsessed with mojitos.
For someone who swore to the heavens that she hated them with the fire of a thousand burning suns a year ago, that’s saying something. I think the first one I ever has was all mint, no lime, and that is a major problem for me.
Mint may be one of the main ingredients, but if I feel like I’m drinking boozy toothpaste, there’s a problem.
Thankfully, these don’t taste anything like toothpaste.
Fresh Summer Watermelon Mojito with Chia
Talk about a fun, festive summer drink, though. And what a way to celebrate the first day of the season!
Mojitos are super duper refreshing already, so when you combine them with freshly pureed watermelon? It’s like pure, drinkable bliss in a glass. There’s truly no other description for these watermelon mojitos.
It hasn’t been too hot down here in Florida, yet – mainly because the entire state seems to be having an identity crisis. It’s been raining so heavily and so often, I have to wonder if we haven’t switched weather patterns with Seattle.
Without fail, practically every afternoon, the dark clouds roll in and the sky breaks open. Which really screws with my natural light shooting schedule.
The rain has also really screwed with my motivation. I’ve had quite a few afternoons of Netflix bingeing (seriously, OITNB?!) and laying on the couch, staring out the window at the blackening sky.
Like, I have laundry to do. Recipes to develop. Even driving to the gym (!) has been something to dread.
Come on, Florida. Work with me. You know I’m not fond of the sun, but I apparently can’t be without it.
Fresh ingredients are the way to go to make the perfect summer cocktail - the Watermelon Mojito! This fruity twist on the classic Cuban mojito will make you feel like you're lounging beneath the palms no matter where you are!
- 1/4 watermelon seeded & chunked
- 3 limes juiced
- 2 teaspoons simple syrup or sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon hydrated chia seeds
- 2 cups ice
- 10-15 mint leaves plus more for garnish
- 2 ounces rum
- Sparkling water
- Watermelon spears for garnish
- Sliced lime for garnish
- Add watermelon chunks, lime juice, and simple syrup to a food processor or blender and process until smooth, about 30-60 seconds.
- Rub a mint leaf on the rim of each glass. Tear mint leaves and separate them into each glass. Divide watermelon mixture into glasses, then add the rum. Stir vigorously for 15-20 seconds. Taste and add additional simple syrup if desired. Stir in chia seeds.
- Add 1 cup of ice to each glass, then top off with a splash of sparkling water.
- Garnish with watermelon spears, lime slices, and mint sprigs before serving.