Bacon makes everything better, so don’t settle for the plain old traditional recipe – this Smoky Bourbon Bacon Chex Mix recipe is the salty, crunchy, boozy version of the famous snack that you didn’t know you were craving!
Is it just me, or has Chex mix kind of fallen off people’s radars?
Maybe it’s just my experience, but I can’t even remember the last time I saw a snack mix at a party or get-together. Then again, when you have friends like I have, you’re more likely to find 3 slow cookers full of different cocktail meatballs, pretty cheese boards, and a giant roaster pan of wings staying warm in the oven.
What happened to the simple days of throwing relatively bland cereal in a bowl with some other carb-laden nibbles and calling it a day? Pretty much zero effort, but way more ROI from the end result than should be legal.
I support the return of Chex mix – in the form of this Smoky Bourbon Bacon variety.
Few things make me as happy as a strip of crispy bacon or a tumbler of good bourbon (on the rocks, please.) It made perfect sense to incorporate them into a snack that’s perfect for any football Sunday, summer shindig, or holiday party.
No worries about getting sloshed from eating a few handfuls of this, though; the alcohol cooks out of the bourbon before it even touches the cereal. You’re left with a faint but pleasant aftertaste of the spirit.
And it goes so well with that damn crispy bacon.
Add a few drops of liquid smoke and you’ll feel like you’re sitting around a campfire, breathing in the summer air with every bite. I’m not even kidding.
How do you make your own Chex Mix?
Easily – you toss the nibbles of your choice in a bowl with some butter and seasonings (bacon grease and bourbon also, in the case of this recipe), bake it up to dry it out and infuse the flavors, and start snacking!
The original recipe is nothing but Chex cereal, pretzels, and bagel chips, but putting your own mark on the mix is a welcome change. If bourbon and/or bacon aren’t your thing, create your own Chex mix recipe!
Adding things like cheesy crackers (Cheez-Its or Goldfish are perfect for this), nuts (peanuts, pecans, and cashews in particular), or more savory bits like bacon or beef jerky make an already delicious snack mix that much better.
Even adding other cereals in place of some of the Chex would be tasty. Can you imagine how yummy Chex, Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch would be together? Or Chex, Cocoa Puffs, and Reese’s Puffs?
Let your childhood imagination run wild.
Try even more of these great snacks!
- Brownie Batter Dip
- The Best Guacamole (for two!)
- Tortilla Pinwheels
- Mexican Nacho Fries
- Bloody Mary Cheeseball
- Ancho Bacon Kettle Corn
Smoky Bourbon Bacon Chex Mix
- 2 cups corn Chex cereal
- 2 cups rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1 cup cheese crackers
- 1 cup bagel chips
- 1 cup peanuts
- 8 strips crispy cooked bacon chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with foil, then spray foil with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix Chex, pretzels, cheese crackers, bagel chips, peanuts, and bacon. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter, bacon grease, and liquid smoke over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it begins to simmer, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 2-3 minutes, then stir in the bourbon, seasoning salt, and garlic powder. Pour over snack mixture; toss until evenly coated.
- Spread mixture in even layers on prepared pans. Bake 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, to evaporate liquid. Cool completely, about 1 hour, before serving.
PIN THIS SMOKY BOURBON BACON CHEX MIX FOR LATER!