This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
All of the things you love about a classic Southern breakfast… on a pizza!
Who has had leftover pizza for breakfast?
I mean like cold, straight from the box and into your mouth as you stumble into the kitchen to make coffee?
It’s a strange phenomenon, but it somehow tastes just as good (if not better) than the night before when you had it for dinner, right?
Well, this is not that kind of pizza.
This is a whole different animal.
Imagine, if you will, a heaping plate of biscuits and gravy. Now throw a veggie omelette on top of it, and add lots of cheese and bacon…
And meet my Skillet Breakfast Pizza.
Our vacation was absolutely wonderful!
We got next to nothing productive done, but I can’t recall returning to work as rested and relaxed as I felt after our time off last week.
There was lots of sleeping in, cuddling and playing with our puppy, catching up on our Netflix queue, gaming.
And, of course, there was a lot of eating!
This Skillet Breakfast Pizza was Saturday’s day starter. Lunch consisted of lots of wine and cheese with The Bestie & Her Beau, and dinner was a lovely Thanksgiving-style birthday meal for a close friend, complete with a huge turkey, potatoes, and all the dressings.
Breakfast was a real treat.
Breakfast pizza is not a foreign concept to me. I actually got the idea from Red Baron, who makes pretty tasty microwaveable mini versions that I used to eat way too often at work back in the day.
Attempting to make my own was pretty simple, as I’m an experienced pizza maker and consumer.
I knows what I likes.
The biscuit crust with Miss Poofy Cheeks’ sausage gravy sauce was a real no-brainer. Sure, I could have used tomato sauce, but biscuits and gravy are a Southern staple!
(To be honest, Mr. Crumby wasn’t a huge fan of the crust, as he is a thin crust kind of guy, and 6 biscuits in a skillet make for very poofy dough. Mental note for next time.)
As for toppings, I just kind of threw on what I had in the fridge.
Scrambled eggs, obviously. They scream breakfast.
Veggies! The tri-colored tomatoes were so pretty.
Cheese!! Three kinds!
Joy of my soul, BACON!!!
…Or the lack thereof.
Oh, how I wanted bacon. Alas, we had none! We didn’t even have any bacon bits!!! NOT EVEN BACON GREASE.
I was distraught.
I highly recommend you put bacon on this bad boy.
It will take it to new flavor heights, I promise.
Then again, bacon does that to everything.
No matter how you top it, this pizza will definitely start your day off right. You may not even need to eat lunch!
Skillet Breakfast Pizza
All of the things you love about a classic Southern breakfast... on a pizza!
- 3-6 refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough discs
- 1 1/2 cups sausage gravy (I used this recipe - http://www.poofycheeks.com/2013/09/homemade-sausage-breakfast-gravy.html)
- Feta, Mozzarella, and/or Cheddar cheese
- Scrambled eggs
- Bacon, crumbled
- Fresh grape tomatoes, halved
- Sweet peppers, sliced
- Sweet onion, sliced
- Baby Portabello mushrooms, sliced
- Baby spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line bottom of 9" cast iron skillet with 6 biscuit dough discs, spreading each out to meet to form the crust. For thinner crust, split 3 biscuits in half lengthwise, stretch, and spread.
- Spread sausage gravy on top of crust, forming a "sauce".
- Top as desired. I layered mine starting with mozzarella and cheddar cheese, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, and topped it all off with some crumbled feta.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until biscuit crust is browned. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 963kcal Calories from fat 136|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 15g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
If only I’d had BACON…