Tender, juicy beef, braised in a delicious red wine & mushroom gravy – served with herbed roasted potatoes and your favorite veggie, it makes for a wonderful Sunday Supper!
Time tends to get away from me, and the fact that 2016 is here just reminds me of how fleeting the clock can be.
Having arrived on the other side of another year is both sad and a thrill – I left behind an incredibly prosperous 365 days, but the potential for the next 365 is absolutely unlimited! I already have some great things lined up for myself and my family and friends in the coming months.
As far as this little blog, it’s brought me more joy than I thought possible.
When I started it up in 2014, I didn’t intend for it to be more than an outlet for my venture into photography, a random hobby decided to try, and my desire to hone my cooking skills and showcase my husband’s (like with this Red Wine Mushroom Braised Beef.)
Becoming part of the Sunday Supper Movement last year made The Crumby Cupcake mean that much more – it challenged me in many ways, introduced me to some wonderful people, and helped to expand my knowledge of both food and the world of blogging.
I’m beyond thrilled to be part of the community, and this year, for the first time ever, we’ve hit national holiday status!
That’s right! Every January will now be National Sunday Supper Month, with January 10th being Sunday Supper Day.
Today, we’re celebrating kicking off the big month with a huge collection of wonderful recipes, shared specifically in honor of the special occasion.
I’m happy to bring you one of my all-time favorite recipes from my hubby’s repertoire. We had a variation of this dish (made with short ribs) for the first time while choosing a wedding caterer in early 2012, and I became obsessed with the juicy cuts of beef.
Mr. Crumby tried out his own version for my birthday dinner that same year, it was a hit on our wedding menu, and it has become an often-requested (by me) dish in our home over the last three years.
In spite of the fact that braised beef is often served with mashed potatoes, I’m a fan of the roasted potato side – swirling them around in the delicious gravy is super delish, and adds lovely flavor.
More often than not, it’s either one of us handling dinner at a time, not usually both (our kitchen isn’t that big!) – but I had a hand in this one by prepping the potatoes. They’re pretty tasty, also, and are a wonderful compliment alongside his perfectly crafted beef.
I am one lucky woman, in more ways than one. Here’s to a new year, new experiences, new foods to try, and new memories to make!
Red Wine Mushroom Braised Beef
Tender, juicy beef, braised in a delicious red wine & mushroom gravy - served with herbed roasted potatoes and your favorite veggie, it makes for a wonderful Sunday Supper!
- 1 2-pound beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into sections (fat reserved)
- 1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon, or other dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, divided
- 1 Tablespoon mushroom gravy mix or cornstarch
Herbed Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds baby gold potatoes, washed and quartered
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- Trim the chuck roast, removing the biggest pieces of fat. Season the beef with salt and pepper and place covered in the fridge. Add 3-4 pieces of trimmed fat to a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat with half of the wine, bay leaf, oregano, salt and pepper (to taste,) and ¼ cup mushrooms.
- Bring sauce to a low boil, then reduce heat to medium, and allow the wine to reduce by about ⅓.
- Add the remaining wine and mushroom gravy mix (or cornstarch) and simmer 20-30 minutes until thickened and reduced.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Sear each side in a cast iron skillet.
- When sauce is ready, strain it through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl, and add sauce to skillet.
- Cover skillet with foil and bake for 1½-2 hours, until tender. In last 10 minutes of cook time, add remaining mushrooms and toss with sauce.
- Serve with potatoes and favorite vegetables, and enjoy!
Herbed Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and drizzle with 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Place remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combined. Spread evenly on baking sheet, sprinkling more Parmesan on top if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and toss with butter, coating evenly. Top with fresh rosemary sprigs and more grated Parmesan when serving if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1605kcal Calories from fat 543|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 60g||92%|
|Saturated Fat 22g||110%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
How will you celebrate Sunday Supper Month with us?
Appetizers and Soups
- Borscht from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Cheesy Garlic Crescent Rolls from Wallflour Girl
- Cheesy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms from Runner’s Tales
- Creamy Zucchini Soup from Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Garlic Chili Tiger Prawns from Food Lust People Love
- Honey Bacon Ranch Boneless Chicken Wings from From Gate to Plate
- Lion’s Head Meatball Soup from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- New England Seafood Chowder from Curious Cuisiniere
- Potato and Carrot Leek Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Steve’s Crab Dip from Monica’s Table
- Almond Breaded Pork Chops from Casa de Crews
- Bourbon Glazed Porkchops from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cauliflower Tetrazzini with Poblano Peppers from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken Pot Pie from Feeding Big and more
- Cranberry Mustard Pork Chop Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Fideua (Catalan Pasta Paella) from Caroline’s Cooking
- French-Inspired Macaroni and Cheese from MyGourmetConnection
- Grandma’s Fried Chicken from The Freshman Cook
- Gluten Free Buffalo Quinoa Vegetable Bowls from Fearless Dining
- Huevos Rancheros from Palatable Pastime
- Indian Spiced Roast Salmon from Soni’s Food
- Italian Style Swiss Chard and Beans with Orecchietti Pasta from Delaware Girl Eats
- Korean Spicy Braised Mackerel from kimchi MOM
- Larb Gai (Spicy Thai Chicken Salad) from Rhubarb and Honey
- Mediterranean Flatbread from Magnolia Days
- Mustard-Crusted Pork Roast from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- New York Strip Roast Dinner from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Red Wine-Mushroom Braised Beef from The Crumby Cupcake
- Rustic Portuguese Chicken Stew from Family Foodie
- Sausage & Pasta in a Quick Tomato Sauce from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Savory Ham, Cheese and Sage Waffles from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Shrimp and Asparagus Crepes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Simple, Healthy, Light and Lemony Fettuccine from MidLife Road Trip
- Simple Roast Chicken from Get the Good Stuff
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatball Soup from Food Done Light
- Smoked Mozzarella and Sausage Pizza from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Smothered Pork Chops from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spinach Spätzli with Sage and Speck from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Turkey Cutlets with Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ultimate Mac and Cheese from Our Good Life
- Vegan Mexican Rice and Lentils from PancakeWarriors
- Ziti with Porcini Bolognese Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Gramma Buckholt’s Yeast Rolls from The Weekend Gourmet
- Lager and Rye Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower from Nosh My Way
- Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls from Wholistic Woman
- Winter Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bacon Buttermilk Biscuit with Chocolate Gravy from Brunch-N-Bites
- Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Kahlua Buttercream Frosting from Flour On My Face
- Chocolate Hazelnut Tart from Taste And See
- Death by Chocolate from Desserts Required
- Fudge Frosted Brownies from Party Food and Entertaining
- Gluten Free Tropical Banana Pineapple Coconut Muffins from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Layered Mousse Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Cup Flourless Chocolate Cake Roll from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Pistachio Macaron with Apricot Ganache from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Take the Sunday Supper Month Pledge plus Family Friendly Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Help us celebrate National Sunday Supper Month by entering the Idaho® Potato Let’s Poutine recipe contest, sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission, with prizes of $500, $200 and $100, plus a ticket for each winner to Food and Wine Conference 2016. All the rules and conditions for entry can be found on our Sunday Supper Movement website.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.