Not the biggest fan of eggnog? Give it’s tropical Puerto Rican cousin a try – coconut-based Coquito is rich, creamy, full of rum, and ready for any holiday party!
I am so horrifyingly unprepared for this holiday.
As I write this, know that it is Thursday, December 22, 9:30PM. I have 2 pies and 8 batches of cookies to bake, half of which need garnishing or decorating, before Saturday. I have a handful of gifts to wrap – in secret, somehow – and stocking stuffers to purchase for my hubby and my pooch.
Plus there’s the usual household things that have to get done. And two 12+ hour workdays coming at me in a very short time.
To say that I’m freaking out would be an understatement.
I could absolutely not let you guys go another Christmas without the recipe for my husband’s wonderful Coquito.
Thank me later.
My intention for this post, before getting sick last week and throwing my whole baking schedule into freefall, was to cleverly rewrite Twas The Night Before Christmas to include a stressed out father enjoying his Coquito after the house is asleep.
I heart poetry, and I can’t remember the last time I actually put pen to paper to write one of my own. Getting the idea for this rewrite got me all shades of excited, and I managed to jot down a couple of stanzas before my brain literally broke. I couldn’t successfully rhyme while looking at the clock and realizing how screwed I was.
Maybe it’s the Benadryl, but some of the stuff I was writing reminded me of English-dubbed anime. You know how the literal translations are often so weird? That was me.
So, you’re getting my OMG I’M FREAKING OUT ramblings instead, with an added bonus of some pretty delicious looking pics of my favorite Christmas drink of all time.
I’m pretty sure I scored the best guy in the world.
You’re gonna want to keep a pitcher of this in the fridge even after the holidays – it makes the best coffee creamer ever! (Just don’t add it to your off-to-work mug!)
Mr. Crumby's Kitchen: Coquito
Not the biggest fan of eggnog? Give it's tropical Puerto Rican cousin a try - coconut-based Coquito is rich, creamy, full of rum, and ready for any holiday party!
- 2 (12oz) cans evaporated milk
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (14oz) can coconut milk
- 1 (15oz) can sweetened cream of coconut
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups rum (white, spiced, coconut, or a combination)
- Toasted coconut, for garnish (optional)
- Combine evaporated milk, condensed milk, coconut cream, and coconut milk in a large pot set over low heat, whisking to combine. Add the cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Allow to simmer 25-30 minutes stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and cool 20 minutes, then whisk in vanilla extract and rum. Pour into a pitcher, cover, and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until cold.
- Serve straight in small glasses garnished or in larger ones with cubed ice. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg, and toasted coconut. Leftovers will keep tightly sealed in the refrigerator for about one week.
For a non-alcoholic or virgin drink, replace rum with one cup cold coconut milk or whole milk and one cup cold water.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 587kcal Calories from fat 216|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 24g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 19g||95%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|