This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
These sweet Mini Brownie Layer Cakes will be a hit with everyone you love! Heart-shaped layers of fudge brownie filled with chocolate fudge frosting and raspberry jam are meant for sharing!
This post has been sponsored by The J.M. Smucker Company. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this blog possible!
What the world needs now is love. In the form of heart-shaped brownie cakes.
After extensive case studies, I have discovered that people are 79% more likely to devour a dessert if it’s in a cute shape. Examples: Cut-out Christmas cookies. Bunny-shaped marshmallows. Mickey Mouse ice cream bars.
We are drawn to adorable, and I, for one, am not ashamed to admit it.
(By the way, those stats up there are total BS. Case studies…me? Bahahaha. The only person I studied was myself.)
Unpopular opinion time!
I don’t really like Valentine’s Day.
I believe in love for love’s sake. Why on earth do we need a day to remind the people we love that we actually do when we should be doing it all the time?
Buy her roses in August (they’re considerably cheaper.) Take him to his favorite restaurant in May (and spring for the appetizer.)
Bake these cute little heart-shaped Mini Brownie Layer Cakes every week in October (and use pumpkin sprinkles if you want to.)
Love is love 365 days a year, not just one, and you can pick up Pillsbury™ Brownie Mixes & frosting at Target on any of those days.
Of course, if you’re a fan of old St. Valentine, Target can help you save some extra cash that week, too. From February 4th through the 17th, you can snag their in-store 10 for $10 Pillsbury™ Brownie Mixes deal. Throw a bottle of Crisco® Oil, a few pints of raspberries and one or two Pillsbury™ Filled Pastry Bags of Chocolate Fudge Frosting in your cart and you’ll be set to spoil your loved ones for quite a while.
Time to stock up on brownie mix! Between this sale and The Dollar Spot, Target can have all my money.
These cakes, though!
They’re so incredibly easy, and much more fun to make (and eat!) than a normal cake.
Of course, you bake up your brownie mix a bit differently than normal – on a rimmed cookie sheet vs. a square or 13×9 pan. You need the final brownie layer to be thin since you’ll be cookie cutter-ing them into sweet little hearts, then stacking them sky high and filling them with berry goodness.
Make this mini Brownie Layer Cake with a mix – so easy!
Easy peasy. Mix up the batter in your favorite way (I’ve tried butter, but Crisco® Oil is so much better in brownies! I also like to add an extra egg for a more cakelike consistency.) Spread it in your (greased up) cookie sheet, and in 20 minutes you have a perfectly baked brownie cake.
My heart-shaped cookie cutter got me 4 4-layer cakes out of the pan – your results might differ. My cookie cutter was Nana’s and is older than I am, and I feel like most of the ones I see out there are larger and more bulbous.
There is always the option of a round cutter, or just measuring equal squares if you need more complete cakes. The cute shape possibilities are pretty much endless!
While your brownies are baking, the tangy homemade raspberry jam filling can be made quickly and easily, and with only 5 ingredients.
Don’t like raspberries? Use strawberries – any berry will blend well with the chocolate flavors. Not feeling the jam-making spirit? Your favorite Smucker’s Fruit Spread will work in a pinch, as well.
Quite possibly the best, most convenient part of these tasty little cakes? The Pillsbury™ Filled Pastry Bags. They’re so convenient – each bag even comes with a star tip that makes them perfect for all your decorating needs. (And they come in the chocolate fudge and vanilla flavors you know and love!)
If you happen to make these with your kiddos, they’ll love being able to pile on the frosting to their heart’s content. And you? You’ll love that the bags are sealed at the top, meaning less mess than spooning it into your own bags.
There’s just so much love surrounding these little cakes! I can’t even.
Hungry for more delicious Valentine’s Day recipes?
- Red Wine Berry Panna Cotta
- Champagne and Roses Cupcakes
- Red Wine Hot Fudge Sauce
- Vanilla Red Wine Berry Cupcakes
- Strawberry Upside-Down Cheesecake
Mini Brownie Layer Cakes
- 1 box Pillsbury brownie mix + ingredients on box
- 1 bag Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 10 ounces raspberries fresh, divided
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon water divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Chocolate shavings for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare brownie batter as instructed on the box, adding water, eggs, and oil. Pour batter into prepared baking sheet, spreading it in a thin, even layer. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 30-45 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine 6 ounces of raspberries, sugar, and 1/4 cup water. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer.
- Combine 1 teaspoon water and cornstarch in a small bowl, whisking until combined, then stir in into the saucepan with vanilla. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Use a small heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut 12 hearts from the brownie sheet.
- Place one layer on a plate, pipe fudge icing around the edge, then spoon 2 tablespoons of raspberry coulis inside.
- Stack another layer of brownie on top, pressing down the edges lightly. Pipe a small heart in the middle of the layer, then arrange fresh raspberries around the outer edge, nudging them up against the icing so they don't move. Add more icing to the inner heart until it's as tall as the berries.
- Place a third brownie layer on top. Like the first layer, pipe fudge around the edge, then spoon in 2 tablespoons of raspberry coulis. Layer the final heart on top, pressing down the edges lightly.
- Repeat with remaining heart layers, yielding 4 mini cakes.
- Dust with powdered sugar, and garnish with shaved chocolate and more fresh raspberries.
PIN THIS MINI BROWNIE LAYER CAKE RECIPE FOR LATER!