This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Strawberry Upside-Down Cheesecake – a shortcake twist on a classic upside down cake, stacked on top of creamy vanilla bean cheesecake, then studded with fresh Florida strawberries – a beautiful winter treat!
This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
In spite of my non-resolution of getting back to a healthy lifestyle with some of you, I’m gonna hit you with cake, today.
I’m a firm believer in everything in moderation, and the flexible dieting concept (thanks Lara) – meaning that even when you’re trying to eat better, you can still indulge in a little cheat once in a while.
Of course, I don’t think ditching all foods for the day to eat half of this Strawberry Upside-Down Cheesecake is a great idea…though after just one bite, you may be tempted!
My calendar for 2016 is already beginning to fill up, and there’s nothing more fulfilling to me than to have fun things to look forward to that aren’t work-related!
I mean, work-fun is still fun, but…let’s keep it real, here.
A good amount of these exciting events that I get to be a part of are all available to me because I started this blog!
I know, I talk about them a lot. In case you haven’t noticed, I kind of do a ton with them.
I have never met such an outstanding, supportive group of people in my life, and I’m so happy to have been able to spend this weekend with a bunch of them in Tampa and Plant City, Florida, learning all about the life of the Florida winter strawberry star, and eating all the foods!
And I’m not exaggerating when I say all the foods.
We are lucky enough to be able to stay at the luxurious and incredible Epicurean Hotel, which – upon inspection – is even more wonderful that I expected. From the spacious, carefully decorated rooms, to the friendly staff (who bent over backwards to get a slice of cake from their closed-for-the-day bakery for us,) the Epicurean is exactly the kind of hotel I look for when I travel.
And did I mention we’re doing some learnin’ here, too?
The Epicurean is equipped with a classroom! Where you learn to cook!
I’m not sure I could feel more spoiled. I can’t wait to see what they have in store for us for dessert!
In spite of the fact that, folks, this IS a cheesecake layered with a shortcake, the very addition of the strawberries already makes it a better dessert choice than, say, a big slab of chocolate cake.
(Forgive me, chocolate cake. I mean no insult. I love you forever.)
Consuming just eight medium strawberries takes care of your daily requirement of vitamin C, and takes a good chunk out of the potassium needs your body has, a nutrient sorely lacking in the modern American diet.
So don’t be afraid to cut a small slice of this baby and pile on more strawberries. The more the merrier!
On the off chance that you clicked this link by mistake (or, God forbid, in spite of yourself) and you’re not sure a Strawberry Upside-Down Cheesecake is the right dessert for you right now…
You should get your head examined. Of course it is.
Seriously, though, my friend Sue Harrell, AKA Strawberry Sue, has a pretty darn good handle on all things strawberries and can offer you many, many more recipes that fit your current food situation.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, there’s a pallet of strawberries that demands my attention.
Strawberry Upside-Down Cheesecake
A shortcake twist on a classic upside down cake, stacked on top of creamy vanilla bean cheesecake, then studded with fresh Florida strawberries - a beautiful winter treat!
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, separated
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, halved & separated
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk, lukewarm
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Fresh strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, placing the shelves in the bottom third of the oven. Double wrap the bottom of a 9-inch or 10-inch springform pan with aluminum foil. Butter the inside generously, then set inside a deep roasting pan. Set aside. Place a pot of water to boil on the stove, keeping an eye on it as you mix the cheesecake.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese, vanilla, and salt together on high speed for 3-4 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Add in sugar and flour and incorporate on low speed, then raise to high for 1 minute. Beat in each egg 1 at a time, blending each one fully before adding the next. Add the sour cream and heavy cream until fully incorporated.
- Pour the cheesecake batter into prepared pan. Place roasting pan containing cheesecake pan in the oven, and pour boiling water into the roasting pan until it reaches halfway up the springform pan.
- Bake for 75-90 minutes, until the outside is puffy and firm to the touch, but the center is still slightly jiggly. Turn the oven off, and leave the door cracked open, allowing the cheesecake to cool for two hours in the oven before removing it from the water bath and placing it in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place butter in a 9-inch or 10-inch cake pan, and melt it in the preheating oven. When butter is melted, swirl it around the pan to ensure coverage, then add brown sugar and vanilla. Stir until well blended and spread evenly around pan.
- Place halved strawberries along edges of pan and all around the bottom, cut side down. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together for 2 minutes on high speed. Add eggs one at a time, blending fully on low in between. Add in vanilla.
- On low speed, add the dry ingredients and milk alternately in 3 additions, starting and ending with flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 45-55 minutes, until golden on top, and mostly dry when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, then run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan, to help loosen the cake. Carefully invert the hot cake onto a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature, then place in refrigerator.
- When ready to assemble, remove the cheesecake from the springform pan and carefully place it on a large serving plate (it may help to freeze the cheesecake when removing it from the springform base.) Place the cooled upside down cake on top of the cheesecake.
- Pipe a ring of whipped cream around the base of the cake, and press remaining halved strawberries around, covering the cheesecake.
- Garnish with more whipped cream and whole strawberries. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 742kcal Calories from fat 449|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 50g||77%|
|Saturated Fat 29g||145%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
How do you enjoy your Fresh From Florida strawberries? Keep up with the exciting world of Florida Strawberries, Sue, and Jammer by following them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, subscribe on YouTube, or share their recipes on Pinterest!
- Strawberry Bee’s Knees by Go Epicurista
- Strawberries with Balsamic Glaze by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Hotteok (Fried Stuffed Pancake) by kimchi MOM
- Strawberry Salsa 2-Ways by Midlife Road Trip
- Strawberry and Cream Cheese Breakfast Pastries with a Strawberry Dipping Sauce by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by Momma’s Meals
- Sparkling Strawberry Salad by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Steak Salad by Family Foodie
Strawberry Main Dishes
- Chicken Fajitas with Strawberry-Jalapeno Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Balsamic Strawberries and Brie Grilled Sandwich by Sunday Supper Movement
- Savory Balsamic Roasted Strawberry and Basil Grilled Cheese by Pass The Sushi
- Strawberry Bruschetta Chicken by The Dinner-Mom
- Chocolate Strawberry Tart by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Cream Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Strawberry Fraisier by Love and Confections
- Strawberry Upside-Down Cheesecake by The Crumby Cupcake