Huevos rancheros gone breakfast quesadillas! This recipe is big enough to serve a party of plenty, whether it’s in the morning, or all-day on Sunday during football season.
I love football, but for mostly the wrong reasons.
Third-down conversions and Hail Mary passes are great, and who doesn’t love an impromptu end-zone dance after an epic intercepted touchdown?
If I’m being totally honest, for me, the best part of football Sunday is the food.
Hand me a beer and a plate full of these tasty Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Quesadillas, and I’m set for the long haul – even the half-time show!
We are big on breakfast in the Crumby House.
Second breakfast, brunch, breakfast for dinner…we may not have time in the mornings to actually eat a proper breakfast, but we make up for it the rest of the day.
We go through eggs like a fox in a hen-house. That is not an exaggeration.
We’re always trying to come up with something new to take to our friends’ houses for football Sunday. The same old song and dance gets boring, so we like to combine different ideas into one, cohesive snack food that we can throw together quickly.
We run late constantly. No finger-pointing, we are both equally guilty.
Thankfully, we always have a package of tortillas in the house, and these Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Quesadillas were born to serve the very occasions where a last-minute app is required. It combines our love of breakfast with our equal love of snacks.
Last minute and beyond simple.
Runny fried egg. Tomatoes & chiles. Cilantro. Cheeeeeeeeese.
And did I mention they have avocado inside? I am, in fact, one of the folks that helps contribute to the 1.3 billion pounds of avocados from Mexico sold every year.
Fun fact: if you made guacamole from all the avocados sold for Superbowl parties, you could fill the entire stadium 12 feet high.
That’s some quicksand I wouldn’t mind partying in – just bring a bag of chips and eat your way out!
More party-style Mexican-inspired recipes to serve on game day!
If you love this recipe, please consider leaving a 5 STAR RATING! If you really love it, leave us a comment and let us know – we appreciate all forms of feedback!
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also enjoy exclusive content before anyone else by subscribing to our weekly newsletter – and you’ll never miss a delicious recipe again!
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Quesadillas
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- ½ poblano pepper diced
- 8 eggs
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 can diced tomatoes & chiles
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 small green onion chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and diced pepper and saute for 1 minute, until fragrant. Spread evenly in pan.
- Crack the eggs into the pan over the garlic and pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until the tops of the whites are set but the yolk is still runny – turn the heat down If the oil starts to spit (it’s too hot!)
- When the eggs are ready, remove pan from heat and remove eggs using a spatula, placing them on a plate. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Heat up your tabletop grill, grill pan, griddle, or a separate large skillet sprayed with cooking oil. Gather all your toppings near your workspace.
- Sprinkle some cheese on the top of 4 tortillas, then layer 2 eggs on each one, side by side.
- Top with diced tomatoes & chiles, avocado, green onion, and cilantro, being sure not to overfill. Sprinkle more cheese on top, then layer on your other tortillas.
- Cook in your favorite way until cheese is melted and filling are heated (I use my trusty George Foreman.) Quarter each quesadilla, serve with sour cream, and enjoy!