Who says adults can’t enjoy Harry Potter?! This “Grown Up” Potter Pumpkin Juice cocktail spikes Hogsmeade’s popular drink with bourbon whiskey – Slytherin style!
I’ve gone and ruined your childhood, guys.
Or made it better, depending on how you look at it.
I spiked the Pumpkin Juice. (Draco made me do it.)
This page includes step by step instructions, as well as tips and notes. If you’d like to skip all that, feel free to scroll down to the full, printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Have I ever mentioned that I’m a huge nerd?
Oh yeah. Aside from my constant Disney visits, my Game of Thrones devotion, and my MMO obsession, I’m also a big book nerd. I’m into the classic epics – Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, and – of course – Harry Potter.
I also enjoy cosplay. No jokes, guys…I own a Hufflepuff house robe. Yes, the one they wear in the movies. I’ve even got my own wand. And I’ve worn the whole Hogwarts student getup in public, unabashedly I might add.
There is zero shame in my game.
I’ve often found myself wondering why there are no adult versions of Harry’s favorite beverages served at Universal Studios.
Pumpkin juice, Butterbeer – they’re both such perfect vessels for potion making with liquor.
Being the curious drinker I am, it was only a matter of time before I got my hands on a copycat recipe of one of them and waved my wand over it (and by wand I mean my bottle of bourbon.)
This pumpkin juice cocktail only requires five ingredients that you probably have on hand in the fall!
- Apple cider – the base of the drink, since pumpkins can’t reeeeeally be juiced, can they?
- Pumpkin puree – et voila! pumpkin juice!
- Simple syrup – you could also just use brown or granulated sugar, just make sure you shake it well to make sure it dissolves!
- Pumpkin pie spice – try my homemade version!
- Bourbon whiskey – optional, but come on. If you’re here, you were looking for this.
The bourbon warms up the cold juice, and compliments the pumpkin and apple notes that make up most of the drink.
The flavor comes through just enough that you don’t forget that you’re drinking a cocktail, but not so much that you feel like it’s just a tumbler of bourbon.
How to make pumpkin juice – “grown up” style
- Rim a cocktail glass with maple syrup, then dip it in a cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Fill the mug halfway with crushed ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the apple cider, bourbon, pumpkin puree, simple syrup, and pumpkin spice, then shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Strain into the prepared glass, drop in a straw “wand,” and serve.
Can I make this pumpkin juice non-alcoholic?
Absolutely! Just leave out the liquor and add a bit more apple cider.
Can I use a different kind of liquor?
Yes! If you prefer rum or vodka, feel free to substitute that in for the bourbon. You can also use regular whiskey, rye whiskey, Scotch, or even a cinnamon or honey flavored whiskey for a kick of extra flavor!
Can this be made into a frozen cocktail?
Why not?! Toss the ingredients plus 1-2 cups of ice in a blender and go to town.
How about as a warm cocktail?
Yep! Combine the apple cider, pumpkin puree, sugar, and spice in a small saucepan and warm it over the stove until it simmers. Remove it from the heat, whisk in the bourbon, then serve it with a cinnamon stick.
I need a pitcher of this pumpkin juice! How do I do that?
This is a great signature cocktail for any Halloween or themed party! To make a pitcher, or to serve it up in a bowl, party style, combine the following. Whisk it up really well before serving and add ice to each individual glass.
- 4 cups apple cider
- 1 1/2 cups bourbon whiskey
- 1/4-1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup (or sugar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
(I really tried to get one of those cool ice splash shots. All I actually got was a mess.)
More Halloween recipes great for a party!
If you love this recipe, please consider leaving a 5 STAR RATING! If you really love it, leave us a comment and let us know – we appreciate all forms of feedback!
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also enjoy exclusive content before anyone else by subscribing to our weekly newsletter – and you’ll never miss a delicious recipe again!
“Grown Up” Pumpkin Juice
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1 ½ ounces bourbon whiskey
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- 1-2 teaspoons simple syrup or brown or granulated sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 cup ice plus more for serving
- Dip the rim of an Irish coffee mug (or highball glass) in maple syrup, then dip it in a cinnamon-sugar mixture. Fill the mug halfway with crushed ice. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Strain into glass over ice.