This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
This indulgent Chocolate Rum Pumpkin Monkey Bread is nothing like your Mama makes! This decadent breakfast-dessert takes the standard pull-apart cinnamon biscuits up a notch with the addition of a gooey pumpkin-brown sugar syrup and boozy chocolate glaze.
I’ve never met a monkey bread that I didn’t like.
After all – what’s not to love about flaky biscuits doused in sugar and covered in gooey glaze?
And this one is pure pumpkin-y heaven, and perfect for every year-end holiday.
I can’t promise this will be my last pumpkin post of 2018 – but I will tell you that I’m about to move into apple and peppermint season.
JUST TAKE ME TO THE PUMPKIN MONKEY BREAD ALREADY!
If you’d rather skip my (pretty darn helpful) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this deliciously easy monkey bread recipe, just scroll right on down to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card!
So just like that, it’s Halloween night!
Honestly WTF. Where did October go? How is it already November eve? I’m still waiting on some steady October weather to help my brain understand that we’re hurdling headlong into the holiday season.
I have pumpkins and fall leaves all over my house.
Fall candles have been burning since September.
I’ve even pulled out my fall wardrobe.
And it’s still not clicking. Hopefully, this yummy Chocolate Rum Pumpkin Monkey Bread helps!
What Is Monkey Bread?
Monkey Bread is a cake or loaf made of soft cinnamon-infused dough bites. The dough is covered in a melted sugar and butter sauce before being baked and served hot.
It is one of those easy, last minute treat recipes that are enjoyed by any and every age.
Perfect for potlucks and parties, this dessert can often be found at festivals and county fairs, especially in the South.
Similar to coffee cake, it originated in Hungary, known as arany galuska.
The Americanized version originates from it’s very nature. As a finger food, you pick Monkey Bread apart, much like a monkey would. It is also known as sticky bread, puzzle bread, and pinch-me cake.
Which Biscuits Are Best For Pumpkin Monkey Bread?
I used half flaky and half Southern-style in this recipe, and I loved both bites! My favorite was definitely flaky, however – the texture can’t be beat!
Can You Make Monkey Bread In Advance?
Yes! And no.
If you follow the recipe here as written and use refrigerated biscuit dough, I would recommend NOT making it the night before. Convenience breads like that use baking soda instead of yeast as a leavener and will not rise as well as yeast-based doughs after a night in the fridge.
If you plan to use homemade bread dough or frozen yeast rolls, however, feel free to make it ahead of time. The flavors will be comparable and the prep is equally easy. (Try this dough recipe!)
How To Make Pumpkin Monkey Bread:
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 12-cup bundt pan or large loaf pan with butter.
- Next, in a medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt butter, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and rum. Whisk until well combined, then remove from heat to cool slightly.
- Then, in a large plastic zipper bag, combine sugar and pumpkin spice.
- Now, remove the refrigerated biscuits from their packaging. Cut them into quarters and place half of the pieces into the bag of spiced sugar. Shake well to coat the dough pieces.
- Place the batch into the prepared bundt pan. Pour half of the pumpkin syrup over the biscuit pieces.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough and pumpkin syrup, creating a second layer.
- Place in oven and bake 35-40 minutes until biscuits are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to rest in pan for 10 minutes, then invert on a serving plate.
- While monkey bread is baking, making chocolate rum glaze. Combine all in bowl and whisk well, adding more rum as desired to thin or thicken the icing.
- Drizzle glaze over warm monkey bread and serve.
LOOKING FOR MORE SWEET BREAD RECIPES?
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING PUMPKIN MONKEY BREAD:
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Chocolate Rum Pumpkin Monkey Bread
Pumpkin Monkey Bread:
- 2 tubes refrigerated biscuit dough 16 ounce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon dark rum or vanilla extract
Chocolate Rum Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pumpkin Monkey Bread:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or butter a 12-cup bundt pan; set aside.
- Combine the granulated sugar and pumpkin spice in a large zipper bag; set aside.
- Remove biscuits from tubes and cut each one into quarters. Place biscuit pieces in the bag with the sugar mixture and shake well to coat.
- Set a small saucepan over medium heat and add brown sugar, butter, canned pumpkin, and rum (or vanilla). Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Place half of the coated biscuits into the prepared bundt pan. Drizzle half of the pumpkin mixture over them, then repeat with the remaining biscuits and the rest of the pumpkin mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until biscuits are golden-brown and baked. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert on a serving plate.
Chocolate Rum Glaze:
- Combine the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, rum, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk well until smooth and combined, adding a bit of milk or water if thinning is needed. Drizzle over cooled monkey bread.