This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
These low-carb, keto-friendly Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats are surprisingly filling! They’re loaded with cheese and all the flavors of your favorite burger, and will easily calm your craving for one – without the bun!
Talk about your ideal dog days of summer recipes.
First of all, can we address the fact that August is already almost half over? School is back in session, and to my delight (and likely your chagrin) – all the pumpkin things are showing up in stores.
In spite of all that, I’m still enjoying all the summer stuff we should be enjoying. From the safety and comfort of our air conditioned house, because it’s still 635 degrees outside.
Fruits and veggies have actually taken over my life.
Between raiding the farmers market on a weekly basis, and buying our habitual produce during our weekly warehouse club shopping trip (looking at you, bananas,) we could probably start a small co-op out of our house.
There’s a method to this overabundant produce madness. It keeps me cooking!
Fruits and veggies are pretty darn perishable, and I am all about frugality right now. Wasting food is out of the question anymore.
When I originally saw this week’s Sunday Supper theme (back to school dinners,) I planned on sharing a completely different recipe. Something delicious from the Instant Pot (<–affiliate link!) which I still plan to share at some point in the next few weeks.
But I grabbed a few too many cute little zucchinis on a prior shopping trip, and I wasn’t about to let them get away from me.
I also had a craving for cheeseburgers.
Funny story about cheeseburgers. The Hubs is a burger FREAK. He loves beef of all sorts, but burgers are by far his favorite meal – and he can make a pretty mean one.
Since we’ve re-entered Gym Rat Life, he’s been using food as a motivator. Right now, his goal is a big, juicy cheat-burger when he loses another 10 pounds.
Well. It’s been a shaky two weeks, and now that burger is 16 pounds away.
In support of his goal, I’ve avoided burgers myself. Which sucks, because I’m a burger lover, too. So when the idea for these Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats popped into my head – it was the perfect workaround.
Honestly, these remind me of super cheesy sloppy joes, thanks to the cheddar bechamel the beef is swimming in. And there is nothing wrong with that.
Also, if you’re not a fan of tomato or pickle, feel free to swap them out for whatever burger toppings you prefer. I’m thinking mushrooms and avocado might be the next combo we try.
Just don’t skip the bacon.
LOOKING FOR MORE BEEF RECIPES?
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING ZUCCHINI BOATS:
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats
- 3-4 small zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 cup tomato diced
- 1/4 cup dill pickle diced
- 2 slices cooked bacon chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Wash the zucchini and slice them in half lengthwise. Scoop out all the seeds leaving a 1/4-inch rim around the inside of each zucchini. Reserve 1/2 cup of the zucchini innards, pressing out the water between paper towels.
- Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil on the inside of a casserole dish, and place the hollowed zucchini inside. Brush the remaining oil on the inside of the zucchini. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet set over medium heat, heat the last tablespoon of oil and saute the onions for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the ground beef and reserved zucchini innards. Season with garlic & onion powders, salt, and peppers. Brown the ground beef, then remove from heat and drain off excess grease. Stir in diced tomatoes and pickles.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and Dijon mustard, and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn heat to low and stir in the cheddar cheese, whisking until melted. Remove from heat and stir the cheese sauce into the ground meat.
- Spoon the meat into the zucchini boats, then sprinkle the tops with the chopped bacon and remaining cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted. Garnish with ketchup and mustard if desired.
Beef and Pork
- Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats by The Crumby Kitchen
- Beef and Sweet Potato Stew by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Meatloaf Meatballs by Palatable Pastime
- Mexican Lasagna with Tortillas by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Dish Taco Goulash by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pierogi with Sausage and Peppers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pot Roast with Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Red Wine by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Pastas, Soups, Rice and Stews
- Casimer Rice by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Dad’s Glop by My Blissful Mess
- Homemade Lasagna by Soulfully Made
- Kid-friendly Salmon Curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Salmon with Pappardelle and a Brandy Cream Sauce by Mysavoryspoon
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup by Books n’ Cooks
- Chicken Enchiladas by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Parmesan by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken with Creamy Lemon Caper Sauce & Roasted Asparagus by Gourmet Everyday
- Chicken with Sautéed Zucchini Peppers and Mushrooms by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornflake Chicken Tenders by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Easy Instapot Roast Chicken by Our Good Life
- Easy Ranch Chicken Pasta with Bacon by Cricket’s Confections
- Perfect Scrambled Eggs by Pies and Plots
- Roasted Chicken Breasts by Life Tastes Good
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Chicken & Spinach by My Life Cookbook
- Whole30 Mini Turkey Meatloaf by Bites of Wellness