This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Looking for a fast, delish dinner celebrating the best berries you’ll eat all year? This Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken is a unique way to showcase the versatility of strawberries – and can be ready in less than 30 minutes!
This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
I took the plunge, ya’ll.
After months of people telling me I should get a pressure cooker, Black Friday finally made me crack. I couldn’t pass up half-off the fastest way to cook…well, everything.
The big, smiling Amazon box showed up at my door the following day, and it was like Christmas had come early when I opened it. Of course, Mr. Crumby and I were leaving on vacation a couple of days later, so I christened it a week later by making some shredded chicken.
Holy moly, you guys don’t know what you’re missing. This Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken can be made on the stove top or in the slow cooker and it will taste just as delicious – but when you’re pressed for time? Pull out that Instant Pot!
Being a Southern girl, I was raised to love love LOVE BBQ. It’s like a religion down here.
Beef, brisket, ribs, chicken, pulled pork, beans: as long as it’s smothered in tangy, smoky reddish-brown sauce, consider it eaten.
Not all BBQ sauces were created equal.
One particular flavor that deserves its fair share or drool – how does spicy roasted strawberry BBQ sauce sound?!
YEAH?! That’s what I thought, too.
I had my first bite of strawberry BBQ sauce back in January at the Sunday Supper + Florida Strawberries tour on the west coast.
To say I fell in love would be an understatement. I cobbled together a quick version shortly after I got home and smothered it all over some baked chicken…and ate it far too fast (and very much like a heifer at her trough if I’m being honest) to even snap a pic as proof that I made it.
So, that happened. Now here we are, practically a year later, and I’m finally sharing the beauty of an adapted version of that recipe with you.
Sorry if I’m a bit tardy with it. I’m glad I held out on the first recipe, though, because this one is soooooooo much better.
I love that I can brag about using some of the freshest Florida strawberries to make it for you, though! November ushered in berry season here in Florida, and I can’t wait for them to make it to where you live this winter!
So you can whip up a batch of that sauce, obvs, and serve your family the goodness that is this shredded chicken.
Or maybe, just maybe, you can win a trip down here and pick your very own!
The Florida Strawberry Growers Association is launching a huge giveaway this season – a getaway to Florida, including airfare (!!!), accommodations (TradeWinds Island Resort in St. Pete’s Beach,) and a tour of a strawberry farm in Plant City for up to 4 people (one of the most memorable things I did this year!)
And all you have to do is submit a fabulous photo with Florida strawberries! Or 10 fabulous photos, or 100 – you can enter as many times as you want, the more creative the better. The giveaway end February 12, 2017, when the FSGA will hand-selecting their favorite, so start snapping and submitting on their website or on your favorite social media outlet, just don’t forget to add #FLStrawberryCap!
Even if you don’t win the fabulous vacation to one of my favorite places in the world, you’ll at least snag one equally fabulous Florida Strawberry cap. (Wanna read the full terms and conditions?)
Speaking of vacations, since returning from ours, Mr. Crumby has been eating really well while he tries to get us both in half-marathon shape. Even though the holiday season is full of sweets and other nasty temptations, we’ve been doing our best to keep our portions small, our ingredients clean, and our appetites calm.
Because resisting licking the bowl while I bake is totally impossible. And try to keep me from quality control when the goods are out of the oven.
Meal planning (and that pressure cooker!) has helped a TON, and I’m so proud of my hubby for how proactive he’s been on that front. I play my part in it, of course, and we ate this shredded chicken for 3 days last week and never got tired of it.
BBQ may not be the most health-forward food, but pouring strawberry-loaded sauce on chicken breasts is about as healthy as you can make it!
Take into account the protein in the chicken, plus the fact that eight medium strawberries contain more vitamin C than an orange – you’re definitely getting a good helping of nutrition with every bite.
Strawberries are also virtually fat-free, contain no cholesterol, and are an excellent source of folic acid and potassium – meaning you don’t have to feel bad about sweetening your sauce with a bit of sugar or honey. Research by the USDA indicates that strawberries also may help fight cancer and heart disease.
So pile that mound of saucy strawberry goodness high, and feel good about your pre-holiday meal decisions!
They don’t call this the most wonderful time of the year for nothing.
Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken
Looking for a fast, delish dinner celebrating the best berries you'll eat all year? This Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken is a unique way to showcase the versatility of strawberries - and can be ready in less than 30 minutes!
- 3 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
Spicy Strawberry BBQ Sauce
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, halved
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3-4 drops Liquid Smoke (optional)
- Season chicken breasts as desired (I used salt, pepper, and garlic powder) and place them in pressure cooker or slow cooker with chicken stock. Cook according to appliance directions (they took 20 minutes in my pressure cooker.) When chicken is cooked, remove from stock and place in a large bowl. Use 2 forks to shred chicken. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a large sheet of aluminum foil and fold the sides up to form short walls to hold in the juices. Place the strawberries in a single layer and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- While berries are roasting, combine remaining ingredients in a medium sauce pot set over medium-high heat, stirring well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- When strawberries are out of the oven, stir them in to the sauce pot. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove sauce from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes, then use a blender or immersion blender to puree to a smooth consistency.
- Mix half of BBQ sauce in with shredded chicken and serve on buns, leaving remaining BBQ sauce on the side for drizzlin'. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 531kcal Calories from fat 201|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 22g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
How do you enjoy your Fresh From Florida strawberries? Keep up with the delicious world of Florida Strawberries by following them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, subscribe on YouTube, or share their recipes on Pinterest!
- Balsamic Strawberry Brie Bites by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Strawberry Chipotle Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Savory Strawberry Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Apple Salsa by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Hummus by The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries by Desserts Required
- Classic Eton Mess by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fresh Strawberry Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Goopy Goop – A Healthy Strawberry Sauce by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Bundt Cake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting by Family Around The Table
- Grilled Balsamic Strawberry & Chicken Kabobs by Books n’ Cooks
- Grilled Fish Topped with Strawberry Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry and Arugula Pizza by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Strawberry Balsamic Brie Grilled Cheese by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Almond Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Bread by An Appealing Plan
- Strawberry Bruschetta Side Salad by April Golightly
- Strawberry Coleslaw by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Pecan Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.