This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Why should humans get all the tasty fall desserts? Treat your pup to these Soft Baked Peanut Butter Pumpkin homemade dog treats and let ’em revel in the season with you!
This post first appeared over at Sugar & Soul where I’m a contributor.
News flash: I am a HUGE fan of fall.
OK, so browsing this blog for even a minute will bring you to that realization. I’m as basic as it gets when it comes to the cooler season. Pumpkin lattes, caramel apples, hot cider, crunchy leaves, cinnamon candles. The list goes on, right down to cute seasonal bandanas tied around my Mini Aussie, Vader’s, neck. Yes, folks, I even get my pooch in the spirit.
So, why wouldn’t I bake him some sweet fall homemade dog treats to go along with my own?
JUST TAKE ME TO THE HOMEMADE DOG TREATS ALREADY!
If you’d rather skip my (pretty darn helpful) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this deliciously easy healthy dog treats recipe, just scroll right on down to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card!
These are as simple as they are cute!
They’re made up of seven ingredients you very likely already have in your pantry (pumpkin is questionable but very easy to find!)
Knowing what’s inside the snacks you give your pup is pretty comforting. There are no confusing, overly-wordy words on a nutrition label that’s way too long to worry about.
They’re also super versatile. You can make them any shape, as big or as small as you want, bake them a bit longer if your dog prefers crunchy treats.
You could even drizzle them with a warmed up peanut butter “glaze” if you’re feeling fancy.
I kept them on the smaller side for Vader, who has a touch of separation anxiety.
My hubby and I like to treat him (some would say ‘bribe’) when we leave the house, and the smaller size is a sweet little promise that we’ll see him soon.
Of course, I’m sure he wouldn’t think twice about eating the whole tray if I set it on the floor for him. He’s a big fan of these!
LOOKING FOR MORE DOG TREAT RECIPES?
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE DOG TREATS:
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Soft Baked Peanut Butter Pumpkin Homemade Dog Treats
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup rolled or quick-cooking oats
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, peanut butter, broth/milk, and egg. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups of flour and baking powder and, using a rubber spatula, mix until combined. Stir in oats.
- Continue to add flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough is no longer sticky, kneading on a floured table top if necessary to incorporate flour.
- Turn dough on to a table and use a rolling pin to roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to create shaped cookies or a pizza cutter to create squares or logs. Re-roll scraps until all of the dough has been used.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8-12 minutes (depending on size,) then use a spatula to flip cookies. Bake for an additional 7-13 minutes, adding more time for crunchier cookies.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with some warmed peanut butter if desired. Cool the cookies completely before treating your dog!
You know what other HUMAN treats your pup might enjoy with you?