This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Caramelized onions, spicy Italian sausage, and sweet apple on an herbed ricotta, spread over puff pastry – whether served as an appetizer or snack, this Savory Apple Sausage Tart is sure to please any fall flavor-loving crowd!
Autumn is here! It’s time to live your best life in fuzzy sweaters by cozy fires with hot toddies in hand.
Just know that there are a ton more fall goodies coming your way in the next few months! We’re kicking it all off with Apple Week, and I’m still drooling over this Savory Apple Sausage Tart I made you guys.
Crispy and creamy, sweet and spicy, herbaceous and comforting. I don’t know about you, but this is the kind of food I want to eat every day until 2018.
This here tart is a pizza-pastry lovechild, full of flavors I never appreciated until young adulthood.
My Nana was an amazing cook and baker, but she mostly stuck to flavors that were in her Polish wheelhouse – caraway, sauerkraut, cabbage. Minimal seasoning.
Polish cooking is delicious and very likely traditionally full of all kinds of fats and salty flavor…but I wouldn’t know for sure. She had to amend the way she used salt due to my Papa’s heart disease.
This recipe also goes light on salt, but it makes up for it with all kinds of fat and oil-sauteed goodness and herbs out the wazzoo. Combined with the fresh apples, it’s a warm and homey app and will happily sit on your fall menu in the weeks to come.
Be sure to keep scrolling after the recipe to enter our 2017 #AppleWeek giveaway – there are 6 different prize packs to be won!
Savory Apple Sausage Tart
Caramelized onions, spicy Italian sausage, and sweet apple on an herbed ricotta, spread over puff pastry - whether served as an appetizer or snack, this Savory Apple Sausage Tart is sure to please any fall flavor-loving crowd!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 links Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion cut into rings
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme chopped
- 2 teaspoons rosemary chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage chopped, divided
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 apple cored and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold the pastry sheet on the parchment. Lightly score the edges with a knife, leaving about a 1/2-inch border around the square. Brush the edges with the beaten egg, then set the egg aside. Prick the center of the pastry thoroughly with a fork, then refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a skillet set over medium heat, cook the sausage until it's just browned throughout, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage from skillet but retain half of the grease. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add the butter and oil to the skillet and swirl. When melted and shimmering, caramelize the onion rounds for about 8 minutes on each side until they're a dark golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining egg, ricotta cheese, thyme, rosemary, 1/2 tablespoon of the sage, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until combined.
- Remove pastry from refrigerator. Spread ricotta mixture on top within the 1/2-inch border. Top with caramelized onions, sliced apples, and cooked sausage. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the outer edge of the pastry is golden brown and cooked through. Garnish with remaining fresh sage when ready to serve.
Hungry for more tasty apple treats?? Why not try these other savory fall recipes…
Check out these other delicious #AppleWeek recipes!
Apple Bacon Turkey Burgers from Jonesin’ for Taste
Apple Brickle Mini Tarts with Oatmeal Crust from The Freshman Cook
Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Apple Cobbler French Toast Casserole from Tip Garden
Apple Fritter Yeast Bread from House of Nash Eats
Apple Oatmeal Coffee Mug Cake from Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Apple Oatmeal Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Apple Pecan Chicken Salad from The Chef Next Door
Apple Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal from Cooking With Carlee
Caramel Apple Nut Bars from Family Around the Table
Cinnamon Apple Cider Sangria from The Redhead Baker
Creamy Maple Gouda Apple Soup with Pecan-Oat Granola from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Healthy Apple Muffins from Caroline’s Cooking
Mulled Apple Cider from Books n’ Cooks
Oatmeal Crusted Apple Stuffed French Toast from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Roasted Apple and White Cheddar Soup from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Salted Caramel Apple Cake from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Savory Apple Sausage Tart from The Crumby Kitchen
Vanilla Brined Pork Chops with Applesauce from Bear & Bug Eats
Swedish Apple Oatmeal Pie with Vanilla Sauce from All That’s Jas
Torta di Mele Sicilian Apple Cake from Girl Abroad
Take a look at the awesome #AppleWeek prizes you can win this week! Keep scrolling to enter!
Prize Pack #1 from Rodelle:
A baker’s dream come true! This delicious prize pack includes premium vanilla products, gourmet dutch-processed cocoa and specialty extracts.
Items include: Pure Vanilla Extract, Gourmet Dutch-Processed Baking Cocoa, Gourmet Vanilla Extract, Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans, Organic Vanilla Extract, Organic Chocolate Extract, Almond Extract, Vanilla Paste, and some fun baking supplies to whip up your next batch of goodies with!
Items include: A 2 ‘n 1 Veggie Brush, Clip ‘n Strip Shears, a set of Levups, and a set of Levoons.
Prize Pack #3 from Flahavan’s Irish Oatmeal:
Prize Pack #4 from Pyrex and Chicago Cutlery:
Prize Pack #5 from Rainier Fruit:
A prize pack from Rainier Fruit including a box of freshly harvested Rainier Fruit apples, a stainless steel apple slicer, apple corer, “Baked with Love” ceramic pie pan, copper apple loaf pan and a $25 Williams Sonoma gift card!
Prize Pack #6 from Veggie Wash:
A prize pack from Veggie Wash