Caramelized onions, spicy Italian sausage, and sweet apple on an herbed ricotta, spread over puff pastry – whether served as an appetizer or snack, this Savory Apple Sausage Tart is sure to please any fall flavor-loving crowd!
Autumn is here! It’s time to live your best life in fuzzy sweaters by cozy fires with hot toddies in hand.
Just know that there are a ton more fall goodies coming your way in the next few months! We’re kicking it all off with Apple Week, and I’m still drooling over this Savory Apple Sausage Tart I made you guys.
Crispy and creamy, sweet and spicy, herbaceous and comforting. I don’t know about you, but this is the kind of food I want to eat every day until 2018.
This page includes step by step instructions, as well as tips and notes. If you’d like to skip all that, feel free to scroll down to the full, printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
This here tart is a pizza-pastry lovechild, full of flavors I never appreciated until young adulthood.
My Nana was an amazing cook and baker, but she mostly stuck to flavors that were in her Polish wheelhouse – caraway, sauerkraut, cabbage. Minimal seasoning.
Polish cooking is delicious and very likely traditionally full of all kinds of fats and salty flavor…but I wouldn’t know for sure. She had to amend the way she used salt due to my Papa’s heart disease.
This recipe also goes light on salt, but it makes up for it with all kinds of fat and oil-sauteed goodness and herbs out the wazzoo.
Combined with the fresh apples, it’s a warm and homey app and will happily sit on your fall menu in the weeks to come.
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING THIS SAVORY APPLE TART:
LOOKING FOR MORE SAVORY FALL RECIPES?
If you love this recipe, please consider leaving a 5 STAR RATING! If you really love it, leave us a comment and let us know – we appreciate all forms of feedback!
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also enjoy exclusive content before anyone else by subscribing to our weekly newsletter – and you’ll never miss a delicious recipe again!
Savory Apple Sausage Tart
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 links Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ red onion cut into rings
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ tablespoon thyme chopped
- 2 teaspoons rosemary chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage chopped, divided
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 sweet apple cored and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on the parchment. Lightly score the edges with a knife, leaving about a 1/2-inch border around the square.
- Brush the edges with the beaten egg, then set the egg aside. Prick the center of the pastry thoroughly with a fork, then refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a skillet set over medium heat, cook the sausage until it’s just browned throughout, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage from skillet but retain half of the grease.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, then add the butter and oil to the skillet and swirl. When melted and shimmering, caramelize the onion rounds for about 8 minutes on each side until they’re a dark golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining egg, ricotta cheese, thyme, rosemary, 1/2 tablespoon of the sage, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until combined.
- Remove pastry from refrigerator. Spread ricotta mixture on top within the 1/2-inch border. Top with caramelized onions, sliced apples, and cooked sausage. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the outer edge of the pastry is golden brown and cooked through. Garnish with remaining fresh sage when ready to serve.