This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
For when regular spuds just don’t cut it…these impressive yet simple Garlic Butter Hasselback Potato Bites are an easy side dish or appetizer perfect for holiday entertaining, or any random night during the year!
Hot diggity, I love taters. Every which way but boxed.
And no, you cannot convince me that boxed potatoes can be made as good as fresh It’s not possible. There’s nothing you can add or do to make it so.
Nana spoiled me with real potatoes my entire child-to-young adult life. Even my incredibly talented home-chef hubby can’t make me change my mind about the boxed crap.
These were definitely not my Nana’s taters, however. She was a mashed and that’s it kind of lady. I never enjoyed even a roasted potato unless I was at a friend’s house or at a restaurant.
I don’t think it was that she didn’t know how to make them – I think she just made what she loved. And who doesn’t love buttery mashed potatoes?
To this day, I’m not sure I could choose a favorite way to serve potatoes. They each have such a unique, delicious reason for existence, it’s hard to favor one over another.
Mashed have that creamy, delicious factor, while roasted gives you the crispy, crunchy edges. Fries, tots, and hash browns speak for themselves. Scalloped, they’re always tender and the perfect vessel for cheesy goodness; when baked, they’re a meal in themselves.
Then you’ve got these little Garlic Butter Hasselback Potato Bites, which are kind of a combo between baked and roasted.
Crispy on the outside, much like roasted potatoes, but soft and buttery-garlicky-cheesy on the inside, thanks to the oven-melted goodness that falls through the carefully placed slices in each one.
It’s no wonder these have inspired so many hasselback desserts (apples, biscuit bakes, and monkey breads come to mind.) Hidden layers of extra deliciousness are absolutely worth a bit of extra effort!
The classic garlic butter combo is necessary with the little cuties, and the sprinkle of Parm and thyme add a nice, comforting touch. Though a bit of lemon juice and rosemary, parsley, or chives with sour cream and bacon bits would be suitable alternatives.
It all depends on how filling you want these baby potato bites. I would happily make a meal of them alone!
Add these delicious dishes to your holiday menu as well!
- Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
- Holiday Honeycrisp Salad
- Brown Sugar Bacon Garlic Green Beans
- French Onion Sour Cream Biscuits
- Creamed Corn au Gratin
Garlic Butter Hasselback Potato Bites
For when regular spuds just don't cut it...these impressive yet simple Garlic Butter Hasselback Potato Bites are an easy side dish or appetizer perfect for holiday entertaining, or any random night during the year!
- 1 1/2 pounds small gold potatoes, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Make slits in the potatoes, being sure not to cut all the way through, stopping at least 1⁄4 in. before the bottom. (Placing each potato between two skewers can help.)
- Place the potatoes, cut sides up, on a large rimmed baking sheet. Whisk together the oil, butter, and garlic, then brush each potato with this mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Remove potatoes from oven, brush again with butter mixture, then sprinkle with half of the Parmesan cheese. Return to oven and roast until tender and golden brown another 20-25 minutes.
- When potatoes are done, remove them from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and fresh thyme. Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 324kcal Calories from fat 182|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 20g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|