The French Toast Monte Cristo is truly the ultimate breakfast sandwich! Turkey, ham, bacon, lots of cheese, fried egg, and tasty preserves, tucked between two slices of thick, lightly sweetened challah French toast.
Coming off of a conference high is the worst.
The. Absolute. Worst.
From a weekend full of fun, friends, amazing food and tasty wine, I had to come back to a stressful real life job in transition, lack of motivation to cook (after being spoiled all weekend,) and a pile of laundry that I just can’t seem to train to wash itself.
Tomorrow is my hump day, and all I can think about is my next vacation…which is months away. So I have to ease my mind with thoughts of Sunday brunch (my next day off,) and how delicious this French Toast Monte Cristo is going to taste while I drink my morning coffee on the porch.
I know brunch week was last week, but I just can’t help myself.
This sandwich is off the chain.
It doesn’t only have to be eaten at brunch, guys. Breakfast, lunch, midnight snack – whatever meal you need an extra smile and pick me up, that’s where you should devour one of these bad boys.
French toast with bacon and eggs is pretty generic, I suppose. But when you add turkey, ham, two kinds of cheese and Bonne Maman Apricot Raspberry preserves (my new favorite!), and make a giant drippy, oozy, melty sandwich out of it?
Whoa, buddy. The sweet and savory is just out of this world.
Mr. Crumby is completely obsessed with this Monte Cristo.
Before this heavenly thing came into our lives, his favorite breakfast sandwich was my Havarti Breakfast Grilled Cheese (with good reason, that thing is pretty damn good, too.)
Since his first bite a few weeks ago, he’s requested it three times since.
Everything on this baby is already our favorite, so he’s decided it’s the Apricot-Raspberry preserves that really make it sing. The ingredients in Bonne Maman products could easily be found in grandma’s (French!) kitchen cabinet: they’re all-natural, with no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial additives, and no preservatives added.
Some of my friends tease me about my endless search for HFCS-free alternatives when I shop. I tell them to taste test so they can see what I’m talking about.
I have yet for one of them to disagree with which tastes better.
Besides, who else makes incredible flavors like they do??
Calling all moms, grandmas, aunts…wanna win a $4500 day off courtesy of Bonne Maman? Visit their website to enter the Share the Love sweepstakes (open until 10/31/16,) and get a nifty $2 off coupon in the process!
French Toast Monte Cristo: The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich!
Truly the ultimate breakfast sandwich! Turkey, ham, bacon, lots of cheese, fried egg, and tasty preserves, tucked between two slices of thick, lightly sweetened challah French toast.
- 8 slices challah bread, 1-inch slices
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 8 slices turkey
- 8 slices ham
- 4 eggs, fried
- Bonne Maman Apricot Raspberry Preserves
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle to 350 degrees F, or a skillet over medium-high flame.
- In a shallow bowl, gently beat together milk, eggs, sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and salt.
- Soak each side of 2-4 bread slices (depending on size of griddle/pan) in egg mixture and place on griddle, cooking for 2-4 minutes until golden brown. Flip each slice. While other side is browning, spread 2 Tablespoons of preserves over one slice, then top with 1 slice of Havarti, 2 slices bacon, and 1 fried egg. Top the other slice with 1 slice of Gouda, 2 slices each turkey and ham. Cook 4-6 minutes until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
- Carefully flip turkey/ham toast slice onto bacon/egg slice, then remove from griddle/pan with a spatula to a plate.
- Repeat with other slices of challah, creating 4 sandwiches. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with additional preserves if desired. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1219kcal Calories from fat 631|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 70g||108%|
|Saturated Fat 28g||140%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
IN THE SPIRIT OF FULL DISCLOSURE, I RECEIVED ONE OR MORE OF THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES MENTIONED ABOVE FOR FREE IN THE HOPE THAT I WOULD MENTION IT ON MY BLOG. REGARDLESS, I ONLY RECOMMEND PRODUCTS OR SERVICES I USE PERSONALLY AND BELIEVE WILL BE GOOD FOR MY READERS. I AM DISCLOSING THIS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION’S 16 CFR, PART 255: “GUIDES CONCERNING THE USE OF ENDORSEMENTS AND TESTIMONIALS IN ADVERTISING.”