This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Soft, flavorful brown sugar cookies, stuffed with dark chocolate, coconut, and chopped almonds – these Coconut Almond Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies are a candy bar hybrid!
Happy National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day!
Had I realized that this special day was approaching, I would have whipped up my Nana’s famous chocolate chip cookies and shared them with you. However, those will have to wait for another day. Today, on this happy cookie day of days, I present you with my take on an Mounds-Almond Joy-hybrid inspired recipe, Coconut Almond Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Before I started this blog, I never would have know that National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day was even a thing.
As it turns out, there’s pretty much a day for everything.
This past Saturday was National Mustard Day.
August 23rd is National Sponge Cake Day.
Me and Mr. Crumby’s anniversary (October 11th) is National Sausage Pizza Day. (Really? Of all the foods…)
Random. But fun! And super helpful for food bloggers who get stuck on ideas for what to make for the week’s content.
Chocolate chip cookies are so easy to make! I remember mixing the cookie batter with my Nana waaaaay back when I was a kiddo, and I was quite a spaz. If I could do it, anyone can.
These are definitely special cookies.
Think of them as a beautiful marriage between the dark chocolate Mounds bar and an Almond Joy. I suppose, if you’re not feeling like a nut, you could leave out the almonds, and just add in extra coconut…but why?? The ratio of chocolate to almond to coconut is so spectacularly perfect in these cookies. You’re guaranteed to get a bit of each in every bite. Give them a try!
And the smell when they come out of the oven? Oh mah gah, almond explosion.
Coconut Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 11 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat mats.
- Fit a stand mixer with a paddle attachment; cream butter and sugars together on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes, until smooth and fluffy.
- With speed on low, add eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Add vanilla and almond extracts, again mixing until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the butter & sugar mixture slowly, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips, coconut, and almonds, and stir until evenly mixed.
- Using the palms of your hands, make walnut-sized balls, and place them on the cookie sheets (mine fit 12-15 cookies per sheet). Flatten slightly.
- Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes, or until bottoms are pale golden brown. Don't overbake them! They will continue to bake for another minute even after they're removed from the oven.
- Cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring them onto a cooling rack with a spatula.
Get to snacking!