When you’re looking for a quick fancy dessert, 5 ingredients and 5 minutes are all you need to whip up this creamy and authentic Cannoli Dip recipe! Made with mascarpone and a touch of orange zest, this dessert dip is a delightful addition to any party or get together.
Do you guys love international cooking as much as I do?
Between all the Asian, Spanish, and Italian recipes we make, we almost have a rotation going on in our house.
That also goes for desserts! Flan, Japanese cheesecake, cannolis…
Oh, cannolis. I have a love affair with those crispy, creamy tubes of Italian amore. But the process of making them is not always my idea of a fun afternoon.
And that, my friends, is when I turn to this flawless Cannoli Dip.
Just because Valentine’s Day is upon us doesn’t mean you need to spring for a box of waxy chocolates for the one you love.
I mean, come on. This is the 21st century, and those things are so 1990.
Roses, sure. A nice dinner, hell yeah.
As far as dessert goes, a batch of this homemade Cannoli Dip will satisfy sooooo much better than mystery candy.
It checks off all the boxes: chocolate (chips), nuts (pistachios), fruit (the orange zest inside gives it almost a creamsicle flavor!).
So yeah. Clearly. Skip those heart-shaped boxed chocolates this year and share a bowl of this stuff instead.
What ingredients are in this cannoli dip recipe?
This dip is essentially a cannoli filling that uses a 3:2 ratio of ricotta and Mascarpone cheeses. It’s perfectly creamy, but retains a bit more of that tasty cannoli filling-like texture and richness.
It also contains powdered sugar and vanilla extract. I like to mix in a bit of orange zest (candied orange peels are common in traditional Italian cannoli) and mini chocolate chips.
Top the final dip with more chips and a handful of chopped pistachios for a nice crunch.
What to serve with cannoli dip
Obviously, cannoli chips would be the first thing I would grab! And yeah – they are actually a thing.
If you prefer fully homemade, you could also take my cannoli shell recipe and cut the dough into chips before frying it instead.
As far as sweeter chip-like dippers, graham crackers and cinnamon-sugar pita chips are great. Pizzelle cookies, vanilla wafers, and broken waffle cones are other similar (but less flavored) options.
Fresh fruit tastes delish in this cannoli dip as well! Strawberries, apple slices, and orange segments are by far my favorite.
Can you make this dip in advance?
How long does cannoli dip last?
Does this dip need to be refrigerated?
Can you freeze it?
How to make cannoli dip
- First, drain the ricotta cheese. Place a colander in the sink and line it with cheesecloth, then place the cheese inside. Wrap the cheesecloth around the ricotta, then place a heavy can on top top help press out the whey. Allow the ricotta to drain for at least 1 hour before continuing.
- When the ricotta is drained, use a hand mixer blend the ricotta and mascarpone together in a medium mixing bowl until it’s well combined and smooth, 2-3 minutes.
- Next, Add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar, mixing until fully incorporated, 2-3 minutes more.
- Then fold in the orange zest (if using) and the mini chocolate chips until evenly combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the for at least 10 minutes before serving. Garnish the cannoli dip with more chocolate chips or chopped pistachios when you’re ready to serve.
LOOKING FOR MORE DESSERT DIP RECIPES?
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING CANNOLI DIP:
If you love this recipe, please consider leaving a 5 STAR RATING! If you really love it, leave us a comment and let us know – we appreciate all forms of feedback!
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also enjoy exclusive content before anyone else by subscribing to our weekly newsletter – and you’ll never miss a delicious recipe again!
Quick 5-Ingredient Cannoli Dip Recipe
- 1 ½ cups whole milk ricotta cheese strained
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest optional
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips plus more for garnish
- Chopped pistachios for garnish (optional)
- Graham crackers pizzelle cookies, ice cream cones, cannoli chips, cinnamon pita chips, strawberries, for serving
- Beat ricotta cheese and mascarpone cheese together in a bowl until combined and smooth, 2-3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and orange zest (if using). Mix until sugar is completely incorporated, 2-3 more minutes. Fold in chocolate chips until evenly combined.
- Transfer to serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill until ready to serve. Garnish with additional chocolate chips and chopped pistachios before serving, if desired.
- Serve with cinnamon pita chips, graham crackers, pizzelle cookies, broken ice cream cone pieces, cannoli chips, and fresh fruit.
Danielle Wolter says
omg this looks like the best thing ever. i am just loving the flavor,s especially the orange zest (obsessed with citrus right now). This would be the perfect netflix treat 🙂
This looks delicious and also easy! I’m sure it will be a big hit at my next party. Thanks for sharing!
Now this is my kind of recipe simple and tasty. It really looks good.
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
I’m craving this right now and it’s only 8 a.m.! What a great little treat for when you’re watching a movie or entertaining! I love this idea!
Orange zest and chocolate chips and pistachios all added in sounds totally decadent and delicious. I’ve never tried this before but it looks so delicious I think I will have to try it!
Valerie H Hansen says
This dip looks so scrumptious,, I would love to try it!! Fabulous food site!
Crysta Parkinson says
Ooh, I am seriously into this! This sounds really yummy, and I just added the ingredients to my shopping list.
Jennifer Maune says
I love how quick and simple this is! It is the perfect dessert for a get together or just for a sweet treat at home!
Jennifer Morrison says
This looks delicious! I love Cannoli’s and can imagine this would be so tasty and easy.