The famous creamsicle in donut form! These glorious orange donuts are fried, stuffed with orange cream cheese filling & topped with orange glaze.
Doughnut…? Donut? Either way you spell it, these fluffy (or cakey) little rings of love are a classic American breakfast treat and have come a long way from plain glazed.
I work with donuts every day and have for over 15 years – I still love to find out of this world flavors outside of work.
These Orange Creamsicle Donuts fit the bill – they’re light, fluffy, and filled with an orange cream that tastes exactly like the popsicles from your childhood!
Happy Monday! Grab a cup of coffee and get ready to wish you were relaxing with a mimosa at Sunday Brunch…
These donuts were not only inspired by those famous creamsicles, but by my good foodie friend Lara, who is OBSESSED with donuts.
I mean seriously obsessed.
She’ll settle for a Dunkin’ or Krispy Kreme, but if she can find a gourmet donut shop where she is, she’s on Cloud 9.
While I was prepping for Brunch Week, I knew a donut would make an appearance, but I was wracking my brain about what flavor to go with.
You might be able to get away with calling these part of a balanced breakfast. Oranges, grains, dairy…there’s no way you can go wrong with these.
No matter what you call them, you can’t deny that they’re totally yummy and deserving of a spot on your must-make Brunch Week list of recipes!
More donut recipes to love!
If you love this recipe, please consider leaving a 5 STAR RATING! If you really love it, leave us a comment and let us know – we appreciate all forms of feedback!
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also enjoy exclusive content before anyone else by subscribing to our weekly newsletter – and you’ll never miss a delicious recipe again!
Orange Creamsicle Donuts
Yeast Donut Dough
- 2 1/2-3 cups bread flour
- 1 packet yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk warm
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
Orange Cream Filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- Pinch kosher salt
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Orange food coloring
- Orange zest for garnish
Yeast Donut Dough
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together 2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add the milk, vanilla, and egg yolks and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, and the butter and mix until incorporated. Using either the paddle of the hook attachment, continue to mix on medium speed until the dough is soft and smooth, and slightly sticky.
- Spray a glass bowl with cooking spray and place the balled up dough inside, turning it to coat all sides with spray. Cover the bowl with a tea towel or plastic wrap and set on top of the stove to rise for 1 hour.
- Dust 2 baking sheets with flour and set aside. Roll out the risen dough on a lightly floured surface and cut with a 3-inch biscuit cutter. Reroll the scraps and continue to cut rounds out until all dough has been used.
- Place the donuts 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Cover loosely with a tea towel. Set on top of stove 15 to 30 minutes, allowing them to rise a second time until they are puffy and nearly doubled in size.
- While the donuts rise, heat your deep-fryer to 375 degrees, or fill a large, heavy-bottomed pot with 2 inches of oil and heat over medium-high heat until it reaches 360 degrees.
- Carefully lower a 3-4 donuts into the oil, being sure not to crowd the pot. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes per side, turning a few times until the donuts are cooked through and are a light golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a cooling rack set over paper towels. Cool completely before filling.
Orange Cream Filling
- Combine cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl. Cream together with zest and extract 3-4 minutes until pale and fluffy. Add sugar and salt, beating until smooth, then blend in heavy cream. Whip 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- When ready to fill, spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a straight tip. Using a chopstick, poke a hold ¾ of the way into each donut, twirling the end around inside to create a cavity for the filling. Insert pastry bag into donut and squeeze gently, filling each donut until it pushes the bag out and oozes slightly out of the hole.
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium bowl and whisk or beat with a hand mixer until smooth, adding orange food coloring until desired shade is reached.
- Dip donuts in glaze, sprinkle with orange zest, allow to dry slightly before serving.