Kick up your cornbread game! These spicy, cheesy Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins are the perfect side for fried chicken, chili, or just by themselves with a drizzle of honey!
Let’s talk about corn, baby.
I’d say I’m having a moment with corn, but I’d be lying…since it’s a moment that never ends.
Corn on the cob was, is, and forever will be one of my favorite summer vegetables. There is nothing better than smearing melted butter all over your face as you gnaw your way around the cob, not worrying about napkins until you demolish the whole thing.
When you’re not eating it straight, it’s also incredibly versatile, and should be a part of all summer meals. Ever.
JUST TAKE ME TO THE JALAPENO POPPER CORNBREAD MUFFINS ALREADY!
If you’d rather skip my (pretty darn helpful) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this deliciously easy cornbread muffin recipe, just scroll right on down to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card!
In the past, I have generally avoided cornbread. I can’t say the extra dry, crumbly slabs of ground corn were ever very appealing to me.
Give me biscuits with my fried chicken, or give me death.
However, this particular recipe, inspired by one I make almost every day at work, makes me want to take the entire muffin tin into a locked room where I don’t have to share the spoils.
Jalapeño poppers + cornbread + muffins?
Yessssssssss, folks. It’s not new or innovative or particularly clever, but it’s a damn good alternative to your usual Southern style cornbread.
If you’re anything like my hubby and I, and like a little bite of heat in your food, these muffins are SO for you.
Between the diced bits inside and the coins on top, there are two big peppers in this batch of twelve. Don’t be intimidated, though – they won’t burn your face off.
The secret to cooling these off and making them super moist is sour cream.
And then there’s that amazing molten cream cheese center.
Not optional. It’s the difference between baking regular jalapeño muffins and popper ones.
These spicy Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins should absolutely be eaten warm.
Bordering on too hot for your tongue.
Restrain yourself from diving in as soon as they come out of the oven. That smell is gonna get you.
And if I could make one last suggestion? Hit these with a generous drizzle of honey.
It will change. your. life. In the best way possible.
LOOKING FOR MORE SUMMER SIDE DISH RECIPES?
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING CORNBREAD MUFFINS:
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 15 ounces can creamed corn (or homemade)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced, plus slices for garnish
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a standard muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, sugar, and butter. Stir until a thick paste forms. Add eggs and mix until evenly combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt; stir until thickened and combined.
- Mix in creamed corn and sour cream, stirring until just combined. Fold in cheddar and diced jalapeno.
- Fill each muffin tin ¾ full; add 1 Tablespoon of cream cheese to the center of each, and cover with muffin batter. Top each with a whole jalapeno coin.
- Bake 16-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve as a side with a savory dinner, or enjoy with a drizzle of honey.
Are you a corn lover? Stock up and get cooking – there’s a recipe in here for everyone!
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense