Take a weekday vacation to paradise with a batch of these crunchy, juicy, golden Coconut Shrimp! This popular restaurant appetizer is so easy to make at home, and using your air fryer to cook it is a much healthier alternative.
This post is sponsored by Hamilton Beach, but all opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands we love that make this blog possible!
Is there really anything more basically Floridian than a basket of hot, crunchy fried shrimp?
I guess I can think of a ton of things, but for some reason any time I travel to the Southern part of the state, I get this craving for shrimp that I can’t explain.
And if it’s covered in toasty coconut, oh my. Someone passing the dipping sauce, ’cause I’m about to ruin my “diet.”
Making them at home, though – calorie problem solved. Out comes the air fryer!
JUST TAKE ME TO THE COCONUT SHRIMP ALREADY!
If you’d rather skip my (pretty darn helpful) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this deliciously easy air fryer coconut shrimp recipe, just scroll right on down to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card!
You guys are about to be inundated with air fryer recipes, just so you know.
Ever since borrowing my bestie’s air fryer a few months ago, I’ve been harassing Abe to get us one. Christmas brought me a countertop multi-function convection oven, which did the trick.
But then I got the real thing.
A beautiful, shiny, black Hamilton Beach Air Fryer now sits on top of my refrigerator when it’s not in use. Which, honestly, is not often – I’ve been an air frying fiend for days.
I can’t wait to share all these lower fat, equally delicious “fried” recipes with you! But let’s start with this shrimp!Want a @HamiltonBeach #AirFryer of your own? Use the code 10AIRFRYER at checkout and receive 10% off! (valid through 3/7/19) http://bit.ly/HBAirFryer
What Is Coconut Shrimp?
Coconut shrimp is a popular shrimp appetizer in Florida and the Caribbean. Jumbo shrimp, dredged in flour and egg and dipped in a coconut and bread crumb mixture, is then deep fried, pan-fried or baked.
Another sautéed or grilled variation involves a coconut milk marinade, and is often served on skewers.
This variety of coconut shrimp is made in the air fryer, cutting down on calories and fat by trading out the deep frying oil. The ingredients, however, are the same, as are the flavors!
What To Serve With Coconut Shrimp
If you’re serving this air fried shrimp as an appetizer, there are so many options for dipping sauces! Try Sweet & Sour Sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce, a marmalade, or my homemade Yum Yum Sauce. Provide a bowl of lime wedges on the side for those with simpler tastes (like Abe).
If you’re making this your main course, a nice steamed white rice or fried rice would be an ideal base. French fries or onion rings will complete the seafood restaurant vibes these shrimp give off. If you’re looking to keep carbs low, try a cauliflower rice or steamed vegetables.
How To Make Coconut Shrimp In The Air Fryer
- First, preheat your Air Fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Next, prepare three medium bowls. Whisk the egg white and coconut milk together in one bowl until it’s frothy. In the second bowl, whisk the flour, salt and pepper together. Add the coconut flakes and Panko in the third bowl and mix well.
- Then, peel the shrimp, leaving the tails intact.
- Dredge the shrimp, one by one, first in flour, shaking off the excess. Dip the shrimp into the coconut-egg mixture, then press them into the coconut-Panko mixture, coating both sides completely.
- Transfer prepared shrimp to a large plate or baking sheet. Carefully spray them well with (coconut oil!) cooking spray.
- Finally, add the shrimp in multiple single layer batches to the Air Fryer basket. Cook them for 3-4 minutes on each side, opening the basket and flipping.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with lime wedges and Yum Yum Sauce.
LOOKING FOR MORE SHRIMP RECIPES?
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MAKING COCONUT SHRIMP:
Join in on the fun in our Facebook group! Feel free to share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, help out your fellow home cooks, and see what’s new with The Crumby Kitchen (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tag #crumbykitchen so we can see all the wonderful recipes YOU recreate from this site!
You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter so you never miss a delicious recipe again!
Air Fryer Crunchy Coconut Shrimp
- 1 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined, tails left intact
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- Lime wedges for serving
Yum Yum Sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- Pinch kosher salt
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare three medium bowls; whisk the egg white and coconut milk together in one bowl until frothy and combined. Whisk flour, salt and pepper together in a second bowl. Add the coconut flakes and Panko in the third bowl and mix well to combine.
- Peel the shrimp, leaving the tails intact. Dredge shrimp one by one in flour and shake off excess. Dip shrimp into egg-coconut mixture, then press shrimp into coconut-Panko mixture, coating on both sides.
- Transfer shrimp to a large plate or baking sheet. Carefully spray shrimp well with cooking spray.
- Add the shrimp in single layer batches to the Air Fryer basket. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side, then open the basket and flip. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until crispy to your liking.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges and Yum Yum Sauce.
Yum Yum Sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
PIN THIS AIR FRYER COCONUT SHRIMP FOR LATER!