Summer Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich
This lightened-up, no mayo Summer Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich is all you're going to want to eat during those hot months! Shredded chicken breast, grilled corn, red onion, heirloom tomatoes, and cilantro are all mixed up in a mashed avocado, lime, and Greek yogurt base.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Pressure Release 5 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 sandwiches
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts frozen or fresh
- 2/3 cup heirloom tomato seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup grilled corn kernels
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 avocados 1 diced and 1 mashed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro minced
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder plus more to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 8 slices Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse® Hearty White Bread
- Baby arugula leaves
To cook the chicken
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper as desired. Add the chicken and 1 cup of water to an electric pressure cooker, lock the lid, and set the valve to "sealing".
Set the timer for 15 minutes. When the chicken is finished cooking, allow a 5-minute natural release, then carefully flip the valve to "venting" to release the remaining pressure. Cancel the Keep Warm cycle. After the pin drops, carefully remove the lid and let the steam out.
When the inner pot is cool enough to handle, remove it from the cooker. Discard all but 1/2 cup of the remaining liquid, then use two forks or a hand mixer to shred the chicken.
To make the chicken salad
In a mixing bowl, gently toss together the chicken, tomato, corn, onion, diced avocado, and cilantro. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mashed avocado, Greek yogurt, lime juice, and vinegar. Add the garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Add to the chicken salad base and mix gently until fully combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To serve, place one slice of bread on a plate. Set baby arugula leaves in a single layer on the slice, then top with 1/4 of the chicken salad mix. Close the sandwich with another layer of bread.
- If you don't have an electric pressure cooker, grilled, baked, poached, or rotisserie chicken will also work well in this recipe. In a pinch, drained canned chicken can also be used.
- Don't like cilantro? Fresh parsley, dill, or basil will be just as delicious in this recipe!
- The arugula can be swapped with spinach, butter lettuce, or romaine.
Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 327mg | Potassium: 929mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 435IU | Vitamin C: 19.6mg | Calcium: 166mg | Iron: 2.8mg