Instant Pot Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
There's something extra comforting about a warm bowl of homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich - the only thing better is when it's made in a fraction of the time in your Instant Pot!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 48 minutes
Total Time 58 minutes
- 3 pounds roma tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper divided
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (optional)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves loosely packed, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup heavy cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- Shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place tomatoes in a single layer, cut side up, on the sheet. Poke a couple of hole through the skin of each tomato with a toothpick or wooden skewer. Drizzle them with oil and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle sugar on the tomatoes, if desired (this helps flavor when they're out of season). Place in the oven and roast 45-60 minutes. When slightly cooled, peel skins off if desired.
Press Saute on your Instant Pot and heat 1 tablespoon oil. Brown the onions for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add garlic, tomato paste, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for 30-60 seconds until fragrant.
Pour in ½ cup of chicken stock. Deglaze the pot, scraping the browned bits off bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
Add roasted tomatoes & their juices, basil, thyme, and remaining chicken stock. Close the lid and cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes. Press Cancel and allow a 10 minute Natural Release. Open the lid carefully.
Use an immersion blender (or a regular blender) to blend the soup to your desired consistency. Add ½ cup heavy cream and butter, if desired. Taste the soup and season as needed with salt and sugar.
Garnish with Parmesan, fresh basil, and a crack of black pepper and serve.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 1587mg | Potassium: 999mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3710IU | Vitamin C: 45.4mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 2.1mg