This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Pan fried farfalle pasta, butter-caramelized onions, and tangy sauerkraut are all you need to relax and satisfy your soul in this delicious eastern European comfort food.
This Polish Haluski doesn’t look like much, does it?
It almost looks like a poor man’s dinner. Some pasta, something resembling onions, and a bit of green to liven up an otherwise boring looking dish.
Trust me…it’s so much more than that. These pan-fried noodles and sauerkraut were one of Nana’s favorite (and signature) side dishes, and it’s only fitting to share them with you for this week’s Sunday Supper, while we celebrate Moms (and Nanas) everywhere.
Of all the things my Nana used to cook when I was a child, this Polish Haluski was the one that I requested the most.
It wasn’t until I reached adulthood that I truly appreciated this wonderfully simple comfort food. Maybe I love it more now because she’s been gone over a decade. I feel like she’s still around with every bite.
To be honest, I don’t really have a clear memory of how she used to make this. I remember ingredients, and how good this stuff tastes fried up in butter the second day.
Oh, it’s pure heaven when it’s all crispy.
It is, of course, perfection straight from the stove top the same day, too.
And the best part? It takes very few ingredients to make, most of which you likely have in your house.
If you’re Polish, you might even have the sauerkraut. In which case, I salute you, kinsman. We like our hot dogs with sauerkraut in the Crumby house, so it’s very rare that there isn’t a bag of Sabrett or Krrrrisp Kraut in our fridge.
Here’s the scoop on Haluski:
Melt A LOT of butter in a big pot or dutch oven. The more the better, really. I guess you don’t have to use a whole stick if you’re thinking healthier, but more butter means lots of flavor in the case of this recipe.
Once you’ve got your butter melted, sauté a crapton of onions. I used some wonderful Georgia Vidalias that I received as part of a blogger event, and they were just perfect for this recipe. Slightly sweet, and they didn’t make me cry. Always a plus.
After what feels like forever, but is only a half hour or so, you’ll have some perfectly caramelized buttered onions, and you can toss in your equally perfectly boiled bowtie pasta. If you do research on this recipe, you’ll see it’s usually made with egg noodles. That’s all well and good, but I had to stay true to Nana – and she always used the bowties.
Add in your sauerkraut (don’t drain it all, though! Use that juice!), warm it all up, sprinkle in a few dashes of salt and pepper, and you’re done!
Haluski is a great vegetarian side dish for any meal (it’s eaten a lot during Lent,) but if you’re looking to turn it into a meal…
May I suggest lots and lots of fresh kielbasa? And maybe some bacon. Yeah, bacon.
Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut)
- 2 small onions thinly sliced into rounds
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 12 oz. farfalle bowtie pasta
- 16 oz. sauerkraut
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Chives optional
Melt butter in a dutch oven set over low heat. Add sliced onions; saute for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning while the onions caramelize.
While onions are cooking, follow box directions and boil farfalle pasta. Drain, rinse and set aside.
When butter is nearly gone, add pasta and toss. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then stir in sauerkraut, allowing everything to come to a uniform temperature. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
Transfer haluski to a serving dish. Sprinkle additional black pepper on top and garnish with chopped chives if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days