This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
These ain’t your granny’s beets! Fresh arugula, tossed with crisp apples, sweet grapes, crunchy toasted pecans, pickled beets, tangy feta, and drizzled with an avocado-lime vinaigrette.
If yesterday was any indication of how my week is going to go, there will be a lot of delicious food and cocktail sampling in my seven-day forecast.
That’s right! After a wonderful 24 hours in Savannah, Georgia, I’m currently piled into the back of Lara’s Hyundai Tucson with four suitcases, three of my favorite people, a couple of snowsuits, and a bag of sea salt potato chips, heading north on I-95 towards Charlotte, North Carolina, our final pit stop before we’re Beech & Sugar Mountain-bound on Friday.
What, you guys don’t pull your laptops out in the car to write blog posts on road trips? It’s called dedication, people. 😉
So…with all of the amazing food sure to touch my lips this week, why am I still dreaming about the Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad that I made last week?
Because I’m not a beet fan.
At least, I wasn’t until I tried them in this salad, and I haven’t been able to find anything like this up here on this trip.
I like to venture out of my foodie comfort zone from time to time, and a shopping trip with Lara found me splitting an oversized package of very juicy-looking pickled beets on a whim.
All I’ve ever heard about them is that they’re almost candy-like, on the sweeter side, with a texture almost like a pear, and they pair well with almost everything.
Turns out everything I heard was right!
And you all know how much I like sweet stuff, even if it’s in the form of a veggie.
Salads are not a food I turn to very often, especially in the winter. Soup, chili, and most everything on a bun are more my speed, and even though I know how great greens are…more often than not they’re a neglected part of my diet.
I just didn’t know how to love you.
When I mixed you with so many beautiful textures and flavors, and learned how to enhance your natural delightfulness.
If I’m being totally honest, I’ll very likely still grab a slice of pizza before heading to the salad bar…but just knowing the amazing things that salads can become with the right ingredients has changed my outlook on how I eat.
Even in the winter, when chili is calling my name.
- 6-8 cups arugula (rocket), washed
- 1 cup pickled beets (homemade or canned), sliced
- 2 apples (honeycrisp or granny smith), cored and sliced
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1/2-3/4 cup feta cheese
- Avocado-Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Combine arugula, beets, apple slices, and grapes in a large bowl and toss to combine. Portion salad into 4 salad bowls and top with toasted pecans and feta cheese. Drizzle with desired amount of Avocado-Lime Vinaigrette. Fall in love with the flavors – enjoy!
- Oulse ingredients in a food processor or combine in a medium bowl and blend with an immersion blender. Add more vinegar, oil, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma’s Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.