This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Dark chocolate, walnuts, and bourbon whiskey come together with maple-candied bacon to create the manliest, most decadent batch of brownies you’ll ever eat! They’re perfect for the men in your life with both a killer sweet tooth and a fine palate!
Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon.
Call me stereotypical if you want, but I think even the title screams “manly!”
Of course, that shouldn’t stop any of you ladies out there from eating them. Devouring them, even.
Demolishing the whole pan in two days? Completely acceptable. Especially when they taste as good as these do.
Lately, I just can’t seem to get my head back in the blogging game 100%. I hoped the Food Wine Conference would help, but work has just been so nonstop, and my need for hobby-type things outside and away from my computer has taken the front seat away from my baby blog.
Thought, it’s not so much a baby anymore – The Crumby Cupcake’s two-year anniversary is in a few short weeks! Cue the balloons and party horns.
Last year was a full week of recipes, giveaways, and other fun nonsense. Of course, that was my first full year, so it had to be huge.
I still haven’t figured out how I’m going to celebrate this year. (I’m taking suggestions!)
Nothing like procrastinating your biggest event of the year. But, hey, in the words of Mark Twain, “Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”
I swear that’s pretty much how I live my life.
I am honestly trying to get it together, though. I have a ton of recipe ideas, and I love styling and staging and photographing my food…it’s just a matter of finding the time and energy to make it all happen.
It’s been rough trying to keep up with the 3 post a week pace I’ve been aiming for, but I’m thankful that I can at least depend on Sunday Supper to keep me accountable to post once a week! It’s been a blessing having some structure that I don’t have to control when it comes to what recipes I’m doing in a given week.
If I’m being totally honest, this week’s challenge put me in a bit of a conundrum.
All of the recipes are in honor of dads everywhere, presented a week early in advance of Father’s Day.
While I’ve known plenty of great father figures in my 30-some years, I’ve never known my own.
It must be a sign of the times when you look back at your childhood and realize you’re in the majority. Though I’ve seen photos, and am in contact with his sister, I’ve never met my dad. But I’ll also never be able to, as he’s passed on.
It’s a fact that bothers me more than I thought possible. I actually cried when I found out he had died, and then questioned myself for doing so. How can you mourn someone you’ve never known? How can you feel a hole inside that was left by a person who was never a part of your life?
All I know about him I learned from others. I can see him in my head, but there are no personality traits attached. I’ll never be able to look at him and see parts of myself, never be able to ask him “why?”
Never be Daddy’s Little Girl.
In spite of these things, I’m grateful for the childhood I had. It was difficult, to the extreme at times, but it made me the strong woman I am today. It made me smarter, kinder, more understanding.
And I know damn well I’m going to be an amazing mother one day because I’m going to be there.
I have no idea if he liked chocolate or walnuts or bourbon, but these brownies are for my Dad. They’re for yours too, and your brothers and sons and uncles and teachers and husbands; any man in your life that’s been there for you, one way or another.
Make them, hug them, and thank them. Appreciate all they do for you…even if they’re not around.
Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon #SundaySupper
Dark chocolate, walnuts, and bourbon whiskey come together with maple-candied bacon to create the manliest, most decadent batch of brownies you'll ever eat! They're perfect for the men in your life with both a killer sweet tooth and a fine palate!
- 5 slices raw bacon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment or aluminum foil, and butter the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and set a wire rack on top. Place the bacon on the rack and brush the top with maple syrup. Sprinkle on some brown sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip the bacon, brush with more maple syrup and sprinkle more brown sugar. Bake for another 15 minutes, or until it reaches the desired level of crispiness.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, then chop or crumble into a bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, espresso powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a double boiler (or a metal bowl set over a pot of boiling water,) add butter, cocoa, and sugars. Melt and mix until the ingredients form a batter, about 8-10 minutes. The mixture will still be grainy when it's ready.
- Remove the bowl from heat and add the eggs, 3 Tablespoons of bourbon, and vanilla, stirring until well combined.
- Stir in flour until just combined, then fold in the walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared 8x8 baking pan. Arrange chopped or crumbled candied bacon across the top as desired. Bake for 33-38 minutes until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Remove brownies from the oven and immediately pour the remaining bourbon over the top. Allow to cool completely. Cut, serve, and enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 422kcal Calories from fat 201|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 22g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Appetizers & Snacks:
- Best Popcorn Ever (with Nutritional Yeast!!) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Homemade Pretzel Recipe by April Golightly
- Nana’s Pimento Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Sweet Tea Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes by Family Around The Table
- Steak & Egg Breakfast Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
Condiments & Sauces:
- Apple Crisp by Ninja Baker
- Banana Berry Bread by Desserts Required
- Blackberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Simple and Savory
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blueberry Ice Cream Cookie Bars by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cherry Garcia Bars by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes by Crazed Mom Lifestyle & Recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Coconut Cream Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tempura Strawberries by Baking Sense
- German Chocolate Brownie Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Fresh Whipped Cream by Helpful Homemade
- Peach Crumble Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Personal Banana Cream Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Maizena Tamal by Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Carrot Cake by Jennifer Cooks
- Bacon Patty Melts by Cookin’ Mimi
- BBQ Salmon Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by PancakeWarriors
- Beef Shepherd’s Pie Casserole by Cooking Chat
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Carolina-Style BBQ Burger by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fried Chicken by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Chicken and Beef Stir Fry by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Filet Mignon with Zip Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Sausage and Peppers by Monica’s Table
- Moroccan Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philly Style Slow Roasted Pork Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe and Provolone by The Hungry Goddess
- Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Spicy Fish Tacos with Garlic-Chive Aioli by Wholistic Woman
- Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
- Vegetarian “Philly Cheesesteak” by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Walnut Cauliflower Zucchini Boats by Beauty and the Beets
- Chipotle Lime Cole Slaw by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad by Cooking with Carlee
Plus What Dad Really Wants for Father’s Day from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.