This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full Disclosure Policy for details.
Fresh bananas, a touch of rum extract, crunchy pecans, and delightful Liberté caramel yogurt make this on-the-go oatmeal breakfast good enough for dessert!
Oatmeal is one of those foods you don’t truly appreciate until you start to get older and grow up.
As a child, I was not a fan. I’d eat it if Nana made it, but it was far from my favorite breakfast of a bowl of Cocoa Puffs.
How can you beat yummy cereal that turns your milk chocolate? (For the record, I still love those.)
Now that I’ve reached that threshold, oatmeal is one of my go-to breakfasts. It’s healthy, fast, filling, and super versatile.
It took a long time for me to appreciate yogurt, as well. I distinctly remember my turning point flavor being a cup with strawberry fruit goo on the bottom.
It was the goo that caught my attention. Since then, I’ve learned to love many other kinds of yogurt, but I find myself grabbing the goo on the bottom kind every once in a while.
When I spotted the strikingly packaged Liberté Méditerranée brand in the dairy aisle at my Publix, and saw the telltale fruit peeking through the clear bottom of the cup, I knew I’d been missing out on a great yogurt. And when their caramel flavor came in to sight, the idea for these Bananas Foster Overnight Oats came to life.
So. Overnight oats.
My friend Lara, The Healthy Fit Foodie, swears by them.
Honestly? She’s right to. First of all, they’re surprisingly delicious! If you like oatmeal, there’s no reason you shouldn’t like this. The bananas foster part of this recipe comes from the addition of Liberté Mediterranee’s new caramel flavored yogurt. Bananas Foster is a simple dessert, consisting of the fruit doused in sugar and rum, then caramelized with pecans in a hot skillet and served with ice cream.
I highly recommend that particular dessert. But we’re talking breakfast here.
I’m one of those people who hit the snooze button five or six times before I get out of bed at the last minute, making breakfast impossible unless it’s on the go. Usually I grab coffee (OK, I always grab coffee), and a granola bar or banana, but these overnight oats are even easy to eat in the car – I just pop the jar in my car’s cup holder and scoop while I steer.
And let’s talk about how easy these Bananas Foster Overnight Oats are to make. Got five minutes before bedtime? Because that’s about all the prep time this literal breakfast of the future requires.
Toss your stuff in a bowl, mix it up real quick, put it in your prettiest mason jar or coffee mug, and refrigerate.
Then, off to bed.
When morning rolls around, you’ll be so excited to eat your breakfast, you may only hit the snooze button three times.
[Tweet “Bananas Foster Overnight Oats & #coupon to help you find #YogurtPerfection with @LiberteUSA!”]
Including Liberté Yogurt in this breakfast idea was truly a great idea. Even though I normally opt for light or Greek yogurt for snacking and baking, Liberté makes theirs with whole milk and cream, live active cultures, and real fruit. Plus, they don’t contain gelatin, sugar substitutes or preservatives, which makes me so happy – I can’t stand sugar substitutes!
There are seven flavors to choose from, including the fantastic Caramel used in this recipe, Cappuccino, Blackberry, Coconut, French Vanilla, Lemon, and Strawberry, and they can all be found at your local Publix Supermarket. As an added bonus, they’re on sale for 10 for $10 right now, and I know where you can pick up a nifty printable coupon that saves you $.20 on one!
The caramel is by far Mr. Crumby’s favorite – he ate the cups I originally bought for this recipe, so he got sent to the store to pick up more as punishment. I’m partial to the lemon, which is saying something, since I’m not usually much of a lemon fan – it’s wonderfully light and silky!
In case you’re new to this kind of breakfast, here are a few tips on overnight oat “construction”:
- There’s no need for exact measurements with overnight oats, so you can add or subtract the yogurt and milk as desired. If you like your oatmeal soupier than the one in this recipe, by all means, up the milk and cut back on the yogurt. You can also leave out the brown sugar if you’d prefer a less sweet oatmeal. Feel free to use your favorite cup or mug instead of mason jar.
- The recipe calls for old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant!), but if you’d rather use steel-cut oats, I recommend allowing the jar to sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before eating it. The steel-cut don’t seem to like to soften in the cold as much as the old-fashioned do!
- For a vegan version, swap the milk and yogurt for coconut milk and dairy free yogurt.
- You don’t have to top the finished product with the nuts or banana slices, but the crunch from the pecans compliments the soft oats nicely.
Bananas Foster Overnight Oats
Fresh bananas, a touch of rum extract, crunchy pecans, and delightful caramel yogurt make this on-the-go oatmeal breakfast good enough for dessert!
- 2/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups (10 oz.) ounces Liberté® Méditerranée® Caramel yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk (cow, rice, soy, or almond)
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 fresh banana, mashed
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- Pecans, cinnamon, & banana slices for topping
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients and stir to combine.
- Portion out in to 8 ounce mason jars.
- Refrigerate 6-8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to eat, sprinkle with cinnamon, and top with pecans and banana slices.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 273kcal Calories from fat 57|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 6g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
See the story, the flavors and the recipes on the Liberté Méditerranée website, and be sure to grab your free printable coupon to get $.20 off ONE Liberté yogurt, so you can try each flavor and choose a favorite!